Go to top
- Very similar to sheep (see sheep)
- They have a similar blind spot at rear – but they are more difficult to catch using this area as they are generally more alert than sheep.
- They can distinguish different colours – responding best to orange and worst to blue.
- Very sensitive to a range of sound from the high pitched squeals of kids to low pitched snorts or foot stamping on the ground.
- They have an ability to move their ears to locate source of sound.
- Being browsers and highly selective grazers – goats have a keen sense of smell which aids in diet selection.
- Goats will not eat mouldy or musty feed, and generally avoid poisonous plants unless they are wilted and then seem to be more palatable.