Irrigating routine

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #559566 by Hertz Donut
Normally we've gone through Summers without having to irrigate much at all, but this Summer we've just watched the rain go around us and wet everyone else. It keeps threatening to rain but never does. It's somewhat bemusing.

We have more than enough hay to feed out (we cropped peas in Spring and subsequently filled every undercover area we have with bales) but the stock are primarily still on grass, with some foliage thrown in for treats. However, the paddocks are starting to look pretty thin now and we're looking at how to manage irrigation.

At the moment we only have a single rotating sprinkler that covers about 400sqm but I've just bought a K-line system and I'm going to be setting up hydrants in each paddock.to do a much better job of it. We're on town supply (we have to pay for over-usage but it's not expensive) so pressure isn't a concern.

We have a 6-week grazing rotation, with the stock spending a week in each ~0.5Ha area. Do people irrigate ahead of the stock or behind them? I'm inclined to irrigate once they've moved out of an area to encourage the grass to come back, as I'd be worried about encouraging FE spores if I'm watering ahead of them given the ongoing heat. Or is my thinking flawed? Am I just overthinking?

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #559568 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Irrigating routine
to avoid pugging, I would irrigate once the stock are moved on, then the soil is firm when they move to the new area. The problem with pods is not so much the pressure but the available volume so you want to have the biggest diameter pipe you can afford.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 weeks 9 hours ago - 4 weeks 9 hours ago #559571 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Irrigating routine
Thanks, the pipes are already underground so that's a fixed value at 32mm, which is the same as the main line into the property. The system I picked up has a 32mm line too so hopefully that bodes well. The volume test values we got were all above minimum spec.

I'm going to build the system into two sections- one at 40m and one at 60m - with a coupling on both ends of the 60m so we can run one, both separately, or joined depending on how much water we can get to the end and the layout of the paddock. The coupling will be replaceable with a tow rope/end cap so it can be dragged independently of the 60m length if necessary.

Last edit: 4 weeks 9 hours ago by Hertz Donut.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #559573 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Irrigating routine
Do you need to have a Council permit to irrigate in your area? Here all land irrigated for more than the 0.4 hectares of garden must be done under a permitting scheme. It is very easy to see which land owners have been irrigating their pasture, and for the authorities to find out if you have a permit.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #559574 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Irrigating routine
We're on a TANK scheme and we have a limit of 5,000l/day from memory, I'll double-check it before we get too carried away.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #559577 by Ramsay
Replied by Ramsay on topic Irrigating routine
Irrigation Requirements

Hi
Here is a link to a web page that is meant to work out how much water you need to irrigate in your area.
Might help.
Richard
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hertz Donut

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #559578 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Irrigating routine
many community water supply schemes use a similar routine, the inlet to your tank is restricted to only allow for a certain amount of water per day. You don't need to worry about a permit as that would already have been covered when the scheme was set up. 5,000 litres is quite a bit of water and should easily supply your needs. I pay 25c per thousand litres and that is supplied at 90 psi so I don't have to run a pump so it is quite reasonable. My most recent bill was only $75 for 3 months and that kept the grass and fruit trees watered. For your system you need to know how many litres per minute and at what pressure will flow out of the pipe that is supplying your planned irrigation area, then you can work out how many sprinklers you can run. Plenty of charts online can help you do this. I bought a very handy gadget from Temu, a Digital water meter and it simply clips onto your hosepipe and tells you how many litres you have used.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hertz Donut

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds