Can I Bury Medium Density Water Pipe?

More
1 month 6 days ago #559545 by MOOSEcannoN
Hi All,

I'm running some 32mm MD (Medium Density) water pipe down a fence line so I can pump water up from the river to our water tanks (it's been dry up north). There's a gate on the fence where heavy equipment will come through and I don't want to ruin the pipe. So my question is; is it safe to bury MD and if so, how should I bury it? My digging equipment is basically a pickaxe and a shovel, so I'd prefer to bury it pretty shallow. Would prefer not to dig too deep as the ground is pretty hard. The other option is I get three metres of high density pipe to bury just for this particular gate area. Filling the trench with sharp gap20 is probably a no-go, so maybe I fill the trench with sand, or would clay be fine? Or maybe I chuck a long plank of wood over it? The pipe isn't going to have water in it 99% of the time, it's just for those dry periods when I need to pump up from the river.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #559546 by Hertz Donut
Yes it can be buried, and ideally should be. I used a ripper on a tractor to put mine under but didn't go particularly deep as I was still learning as I went, it's only about 25-30cm under, which is about spade depth.

You shouldn't need to protect it in any specific way if it's about that deep, I've had loaded stock trucks, harvesters and 8000-series John Deere tractors towing implements drive over mine with no issues.

Remember that the load from any vehicles will be spread across the entire tyre contact area, so the point loading is much lower than the weight of the vehicle itself. I currently have a completely uncovered (but in a 50mm wide, 20cm deep trench) 25mm line crossing a gate that had harvesters and trucks over it last season and it's undamaged.

As a caveat, my lines will (hopefully) always have water in them as they feed troughs and taps out in the paddocks, so there is internal crush resistance. I still don't think a dry line will have any issues though. You could lay a wide H4-treated board over top if it provides you with peace of mind.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by Hertz Donut.

More
1 month 5 days ago #559548 by tonybaker
I would just put a joiner in and only connect it when you need it?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 month 4 days ago #559550 by MOOSEcannoN
Thanks. Appreciate the info

More
1 month 1 day ago #559554 by Jimnz112
Bury it deeper else when there’s lots of rain it ends up exposed. I do between 200-300mm which is safe limit for fence standard… For gate with heavy machinery either bury it deeper or put wood over it. Sand is fantastic for pipes as it has higher density.. When I was townie we would fill up buckets of it from the beach to put pipe into. Never a leak.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds