How to kill this weed?

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #559448 by kieran.harry@hotmail.co.nz
Good afternoon all,

We have a small problem with this weed. Siri suggests it might be called ‘Eclipta Prostrata’ or ‘Laurel Sumac’. How can we kill it without killing all the grass around it and leaving a large area of barren land for more weeds to grow?

We have it growing throughout our 4 acres of paddocks which some areas are damp all winter long. Hence the reeds we have in there!
the paddocks have just been spread with 4 tonne of lime for the reeds but I’d like to know what our next step is to remove these suckers.
Our cattle and kune pigs don’t eat it al all!

Any help or suggestions on how to get rid of it? Could I get a spreading company to spread something??

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #559449 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic How to kill this weed?
That looks like willow weed to me, it likes wet ground.
www.rainbowbrown.co.nz/Willow-Weed

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #559450 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic How to kill this weed?
google says its water pepper [url] www.massey.ac.nz/about/colleges-schools-...tabase/water-pepper/ [/url]

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #559451 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic How to kill this weed?

the paddocks have just been spread with 4 tonne of lime for the reeds 

I'd be inclined to wait and see what effect that has, before doing anything else.  Or cut the stuff down in the meantime if you want it gone.  

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #559455 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic How to kill this weed?
The lime will take a few years to work, what you have is a soil condition that encourages the growth of wetland plants. Just killing the weed is not really a long term solution. Do you have any drainage ditches that need clearing out? Have you considered deep ripping to improve drainage? Short term if you need the grazing you can just mow it.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by tonybaker.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #559456 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic How to kill this weed?
4 T lime? Per hectare or total? It looks as though 4 T per hectare is needed, especially if the lime was not pure calcium carbonate. What is it's neutralizing value? If it is 80% the pasture would need 20 to 25% more than 4 T per hectare. Agricultural Lime takes 3 to 5 years to be used up, so a bit too much is difficult.
I use MPCA to spray weeds like these. as it usually does not harm the grass much.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds