"wood chopper"?

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #559434 by SmokyMountain
We used to have one of these back in Sweden to cut and split firewood all at once. They're called "vedklipp" in Swedish. Nice and quiet, very efficient.

I'm having trouble locating one in NZ, what are they called here? Or do I have to build one myself?

20 hectare bush block in the far north, a Swedish Vallhund, some ducks and a few chickens.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #559435 by SmokyMountain
Replied by SmokyMountain on topic "wood chopper"?

20 hectare bush block in the far north, a Swedish Vallhund, some ducks and a few chickens.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #559436 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic "wood chopper"?
we don't really have access to birch wood here, mostly pine and gum and a bit of wattle, so the traditional saw and splitter technique suits us. My splitter will chomp through a green branch up to 10 cm diameter and probably more if I wanted to risk it. I find that I can use the splitter as a holding vice making the sawing easier. Should be fairly simple to modify a normal splitter to do the job but you would need to upgrade the ram and pump to cope.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #559437 by SmokyMountain
Replied by SmokyMountain on topic "wood chopper"?
OK, mostly manuka and macracarpa here.

But long story short, I'd have to build it myself.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #559439 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic "wood chopper"?
Ok, I presume you are ok with welding so you need a 4 inch ram and a 5+hp motor and pump, this should split anything you can handle, especially Macrocarpa. Start looking around or some I beam about 8 inch but bigger is better or weld 2 pieces together. For oil tank 30 litres is good, the more the better for cooling. Plan on having the wedge static.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds