Controlling thistles and dock

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #559388 by CheetoFactor
Hi all. I recently bought a couple of hectares near Gore, and the pasture is in pretty rough shape - full of california and scotch thistle, dock and buttercup.

It's it worth spraying anything this time of year, or should I just slash it and spray in autumn? Pretty dry here at the moment so not much growing.

Dock looks like it's about ready to shed its seed. Should I rake up the seed heads when I slash them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #559397 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Controlling thistles and dock
At the other end of the country my observation has been that Lime will have a good effect on both Dock and Buttercup. Better to first address what the soil needs for good pasture plants than to poison the unwanted things growing there.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #559399 by tonybaker
What's your long term plan, if it's just to graze horses leave it be but if you want to run a few sheep or cattle then you need to do a soil test to see what's missing. If you can divide it into smaller paddocks and tackle each one in turn that's easier on the pocket. Let us know what you want to do with it then we could be more helpful. See here!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds