Happy New Year...

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #559344 by kate
Happy New Year... was created by kate
Happy New Year to all lifestyle farmers. May 2024 bring you everything you wish for

I'm not sorry to see the back of 2023, it wasn't a good year for us. We both lost parents, Gabrielle caused a huge amount of damage which we're still working through and the constant rain - 2470mm for 2023 - was a pain for both us and the animals. The word I would use to describe 2023 is exhausting...

2024 - let's go!

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hertz Donut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #559345 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Happy New Year...
Kate, I would just like to say thank you so much for keeping this site alive despite all those setbacks! On here we can support each other via our collective wisdom and learned mistakes. 2024 is supposed to be a year of fire so lets hope some of  that rain drifts south as here in Marlborough we were looking at a drought, fortunately we have had a couple of half decent rains. Did Santa bring that new ute you wanted?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #559347 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Happy New Year...
Thanks Tony, Santa did not bring me a ute but that's okay, mine only has 345k on the clock

Thanks for keeping things going on here when I've otherwise engaged. I do appreciate you and the other stalwarts and I am hoping to get more time in here this year.

Web Goddess

More
3 months 1 week ago #559349 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Happy New Year...
HNY to all, and I'll add my thanks to those who keep the site ticking over. I don't often post but I check in on a semi-regular basis.

We were only lightly impacted by Gabrielle but my wife spent months driving supplies out to those worse affected in the Hawkes Bay area, almost every day. The car she was using has suffered accordingly (check engine light, airbag light, many dents and scratches...) but we knew it wouldn't survive it and compared to what others lost it was a small price to pay to do what we could to support isolated people that the media soon forgot. The car is now in semi-retirement as a paddock hack.

A big win for us was getting the new farm entrance built, it wasn't cheap but it's made life so much easier now harvesters and trucks don't have to squeeze down a narrow laneway beside a large open drain, and trucks don't risk getting bogged in mud over Winter.

2024 holds great promise, we had a decent crop despite bad weather right after sowing, and currently the tractor is banished to the yard because we ran out of shedding to store all our hay. We've also had to kick all the vehicles out of the garage (except the digger and ride-on) and farm them out to family, while the milking shed and all undercover areas around the house are also full of hay. Nice problem to have, thankfully we're not milking at the moment.

Just waiting for the payout now, hopefully it arrives before the contractor, rates and insurance bills that will no doubt steal every last cent. It'd be nice to have something left over so we can build another shed but only dreams are free.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds