Suitable quad bike for a sprayer

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #559268 by Off.the.grid
Been looking at a Honda TRX350.
Are these powerful enough to take a 100L sprayer up hills or should i look for something more powerful?
Been advised they are a bit gutless, but then I see lots of hunters use them.
Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #559269 by tonybaker
It's more about stability than power, you probably don't need all of the 100 litres up the top, after all 100 ltrs is equiv of nearly two people.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #559270 by Off.the.grid
Yeah, something wider would be good for stability. Lower center of gravity is also advantageous.
If I go for a more powerful bike, could it be more higher off the ground?

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #559271 by tonybaker
I would think if you go for something like this you could tow it with anything!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #559275 by Hertz Donut
Timely question - mind if I throw in a related one?

I've noticed a lot of quads have the rear carrier max load rated at 50-80kg except for the Can Ams. We use an 80l C-Dax sprayer unit that weighs in around 100kg when fully loaded, is everyone just ignoring the rack limit, replacing it for something stronger, or just not filling the sprayer completely? We're also looking for a quad bike to replace our current setup - at the moment I have the unit and boom mounted on an old lawn tractor trailer, towing it with the ride-on and powering it with a 12V car battery.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Hertz Donut.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #559282 by Off.the.grid
Interesting info.
I ended up getting a Honda trx420.
Seems a good bike with plenty of power.
Not sure on its load rating but would want to be careful with a full 100l sprayer on the back. Might be better mounted on the front depending on the terrain.
Going up hill the wheels lift off the ground at times and would hate to back flip it with a sprayer on the back!
I end up just crawling up in first gear to be on the safe side, once I get the feeling for how it rides I will probably be OK.

Tonybaker, yes I was looking at those sprayers, they also have the tank unit on its own without the trailer. Not sure on the quality of those units, but they are cheap enough. Using a trailer has its own pros and cons and could be difficult to maneuver in some tight spots.
One with a long retractable reel might be what I need.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds