Chickens with swollen eyes

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #559245 by CheetoFactor
Hi all, this month I moved to a new place and inherited 10 chicks and a rooster.

One of the chickens has had a swollen eye since I moved in and has a fair bit of poo stuck in her rear end feathers.

Yesterday I noticed another chicken's eyes was starting to swell too, and today it was worse.

I have attached some pics. Any ideas what could be wrong with them? Will probably have to call the vet but cash is a bit tight after moving in costs.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #559247 by tonybaker
Dr Google says Foamy eyes, swollen eyelids. Eye discharge may be seen on their face or feathers and may have a smellTo chickens mycoplasmosis and its symptoms is equivalent to a bad common cold. Mycoplasmosis refers to bacteria-like pathogens, of 17 in total, two mycoplasma are infectious to backyard chickens. These are the Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) and M. synoviae (MS )Essentially, it is a respiratory illness that gives your hens a general unwell feeling with blocked sinuses, sneezing and the occasional cough.Just like the common cold, mycoplasmosis spreads quickly with a high rate of infection. Luckily however, the mortality rate is low. Nevertheless, if your poultry are under stress or is also infected with e.coli or bronchitis then this "common cold" could quickly become a more serious infection

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 months 1 week ago #559251 by sugarpie
Replied by sugarpie on topic Chickens with swollen eyes
Swollen eyes and dirty feathers can be due to infections or mites. Try cleaning the eyes and improving their coop hygiene. If it doesn't get better, consult a vet when you can.

More
6 months 4 days ago #559272 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Chickens with swollen eyes
I would euthanise them if you can't get a professional opinion

More
6 months 4 days ago #559273 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Chickens with swollen eyes
You have two of them with that condition. I would guess it is contagious

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds