Sheep hoof infection

More
6 months 4 days ago #559197 by hokichikka
Hi there,

I'm wanting advice/ideas on how to treat my sheep's foot.

There is a bit of a backstory. A while back, he was suddenly in great pain and couldn't walk on his front foot at all. There was very little to see, but a slight pinkish area gave me the clue I needed to think he had an infection inside his hoof. He had one shot of intramuscular antibiotics, and although he seemed to almost make a full recovery, he's still not right. He spends a lot of time lying down and isn't grazing as much as he should. He generally only gets up for a short amount of time before lying down again. Sometimes I hear him grinding his teeth. I'm unsure whether he's losing condition because he has a lot of wool on.

I've attached some pics. His foot is looking quite enlarged and deformed on the left, which is where the original infection was. Some of the outer part of his hoof has come off. I'm unsure if any of what's still there should be cut off of not. I don't want to risk making things worse.

What are you thoughts on what I should do next? I didn't find the vets super helpful, apart from prescribing drugs. I'm wondering about soaking his foot in zinc sulphate or some kind of antiseptic. But as far as I can tell, the infection is internal. There is no bad smell. Maybe more antibiotics? 

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 days ago #559200 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Sheep hoof infection
For footrot, we find one shot of antibiotics is never enough, and with Durapen we give 1 ml per 10 kg bodyweight. And again in 3 or 4 days.
I would guess that his weight is upward of 60 kg. With antibiotics, always always overdose.
Don't breed from him - some of his lambs will inherit the same problem.
For zinc or copper sulphate to do anything much, his hoof will need to be held in the solution for at least 10 minutes. It is very painful for him, so a human will have to put the solution into a plastic jar, and hold the foot in it. We use an antibiotic spray called TetraVet Forte, which sticks.

More
6 months 1 day ago #559204 by hokichikka
Replied by hokichikka on topic Sheep hoof infection
Ok, thanks for that. He's a wether, so not breeding from him. He's about 5 years old and has never had this before. Where do you get the spray from? Also, do you have to get a prescription for the Durapen? thanks again

More
6 months 20 hours ago #559205 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Sheep hoof infection
Both the spray and the injection antibiotic have to be got from the vet. You could give the vet a call and send through the photographs for a virtual appointment, but the vet would probably request that he or she visits your place. If you are able to load him into a trailer you could take him to the vets after you have made a time.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #559210 by hokichikka
Replied by hokichikka on topic Sheep hoof infection
Ok, thanks for that

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds