Eating ram lamb

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #559157 by Cmj
Eating ram lamb was created by Cmj
Hi, I have a one year old male lamb who was supposed to go in freezer this month, but have realized he obviously was not castrated properly as some of my ewes have lambed. First I thought my older ram must of escaped into ewe paddock but I doubt he would of been and out with out me noticing. I know I should of checked him over more closely but I really thought he was castrated. My question is, do you think he would still be ok for home kill or will he be tainted meat? He has to go, but don't want to waste him!. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #559161 by Off.the.grid
Replied by Off.the.grid on topic Eating ram lamb
I dont think that the meat would taste any worse, too good to waste!

More
6 months 1 week ago #559166 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Eating ram lamb
If the ewes are seasonal breeders then he will be fine to eat unless you are able to taste ram. I can't. If the ewes are year round breeders then he might have a taint, in which case make him into sausages, after he has been frozen a couple of weeks and you have checked for taint by cooking a joint.
Many years ago, I had all our rams in one paddock, and every time that I checked them they were always in that paddock, with no ewes. But that year we had a few ewes lambing early. A ram must have got out of the paddock, done the deed, and then got back with his ram friends in the ram paddock :-) .

More
6 months 1 week ago #559169 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Eating ram lamb
If you enjoy lamb/mutton then it should be fine as the cooking and mint sauce should overcome any taint. If I have one that is a bit suspect I just do the legs, shoulders and chops, the rest goes to waste as it's not worth cooking.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds