Floppy Lamb

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #559136 by leAnne.g
Floppy Lamb was created by leAnne.g
One of the twin lambs born at our place today is very floppy. When I picked him up from the paddock he could not lift his head and or stand. He weighed 4kg but is very scrawny looking and quite pink. His wool is more fluff than the tight curls of the other lambs.  His twin sister appears to be fine - on her feet and feeding.
Two hours later - and having been fed colostrum and Revive - he was lifting his head and bleating. However he couldn’t stand and (6 hours after being brought inside) still cannot stand, although he attempts to. 
Is this something that might resolve over a day or three, or should I consult a vet?

with thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #559137 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Floppy Lamb
Is this the male of a male/ female twin pair? Have you been supplementing the ewe through her pregnancy with a tonic containing iodine and selenium? If not, get some potassium iodide KI from the chemist or vet, and try to get some Selmitt. Make up about 100 ml for milk powder for lambs and put in 1 crystal of KI, and a tiny drop of the selenium. Feed this to him, and repeat in 2 days. If he cannot suckle you will need to get a stomach tube from the vet. If this is an iodine problem, then watch out for every male lamb having the same problem.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #559144 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Floppy Lamb
Has it died yet?

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #559145 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Floppy Lamb
I think talking to a vet would be a great idea. Have you thought about the Madigan Squeeze technique ?

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: leAnne.g

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #559151 by leAnne.g
Replied by leAnne.g on topic Floppy Lamb
This is the male twin. The girl is doing well on mum.
I fed this one small amounts of electrolytes and colostrum for the first day. After a few hours he could lift his head. He was attempting (without success) to stand by the next morning but I took him to the vet anyway. He had a temperature so was prescribed penicillin. Last dose is due tomorrow. He’s doing much better. Still a bit snuffly but alert and feeding well. Today he managed to get up on his feet. 

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds