When to spray Blackberry ?

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #559097 by Ramsay
Hi
Google tells me that I should spray from January to May.
What is the  general opinion of my fellow land owners?
This is a pic of where my blackberry is at growth wise today.

Thanks
Richard

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #559098 by tonybaker
you want as much leaf and green stems as possible for the herbicide to work best. I see that some sites suggest a mix of Glyphosate + Metsulfuron which sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately that kills everything so do you have a revegetation plan?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 months 1 week ago #559162 by Off.the.grid
I've got a ton of blackberry and used a plicroam/trclopyr mix with good fast results but it's expensive.
My blackberry is about the same stage as yours. Far too early, need lots or leaves to cover with spray.
I still have some plants that didn't die fully, so will need to go over again this season.
I'm going to use Metsulfuron this time round because it's way cheaper. Takes about a month to know if you have killed the plants though.

More
6 months 1 week ago #559167 by LongRidge
I would not use anything mixed with glyphosate, because glyphosate is easily inactivated by lots of things, including dirty dilution water..I use Ravensdowns Eliminate which is very similar to Grazon. Wait a month or two yet. Goats and donkeys love eating blackberry.

More
6 months 1 week ago #559168 by Off.the.grid
According to the label on my Metsulfuron, it says it can be mixed with glyphosate for clearing scrappy land of scrub and weeds, so should be fine.
I tried it on my boundary fence where there were all sorts of weeds growing over and it seems to have done a good job. I wouldn't recommend if you are trying to keep your grass alive however.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds