How often do you change your water filters?

More
7 months 4 days ago #559067 by mattib
I have had a search to see a lot of discussions about different setups but i couldn't see anything on how often people replace their filters. I have heard a few different versions from local plumbers, one said they use 20" jumbos and change once a year, other said better off using 10" and changing more often, both talking about changing based on regular time interval. Another person has mentioned they just change or clean their 20 micron and maybe the 1 micron when the pressure drops indicating that it is blocked.

So how often do you all change them and what do you use as an indication to change them?

Living with my head in the clouds in the Waitakere Ranges

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 days ago #559069 by tonybaker
the "proper" way is to have a pressure gauge at either side of the filter(s) and note the pressure drop. I generally do mine at yearly intervals as my water is quite clean. I have a 20 micron then a 1 micron filter so it all depends on what your water quality is like.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattib

More
7 months 3 days ago #559070 by mattib
Thanks, what size filters do you have?

Living with my head in the clouds in the Waitakere Ranges

More
7 months 3 days ago - 7 months 3 days ago #559071 by Alan Gilbert
To quote part of my response to another thread on this forum a couple of days ago:

We've been here thirteen years now, and thanks to the accumulation of suspended fine stuff that does get through into the tanks, the replacement intervals for the 20-micron filter element immediately after the pump are getting shorter and shorter. When the house was brand new the filter element lasted more than two years. Now it's down to eight months. The water in the tanks looks perfectly clean, and there's no significant build-up of crud on the bottom. The outlets are 200mm above the bottom.

That filter is the usual 10" affair. There's also a 1-micron filter for an auxiliary spout in the kitchen. That one lasts for 10,000 litres, in theory, so I change it every couple of years.
Last edit: 7 months 3 days ago by Alan Gilbert.

More
7 months 2 days ago #559072 by tonybaker
I use the jumbo 10 inch ones from TradeMe.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 months 1 week ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #559188 by Hemsi
Hi, I have 10 micron filters, I change them every 4-6 months depending on their condition. This is enough to keep the whole water system in good order.

The best site to search for real estate is here
Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Hemsi.

More
6 months 1 week ago #559189 by tonybaker
I would go 1 micron with a 10 micron pre filter. have a pressure gauge each side of the filter bank and replace according to the pressure drop.

More
6 months 1 week ago #559190 by smudge
In 30 years I haven't cleaned one yet. Admittedly I only fitted some last year. Maybe one day I'll clean it. I have cleaned out my water tanks three times though

More
6 months 6 days ago #559191 by tonybaker
well, if you have cleaned out your tanks 3 times then those filters have done some very hard work as there is always a lot of sediment left after cleaning a tank. I presume you have so called "cleanable pleated" filters and not the cartridge type that you just throw away? It sort of doesn't make sense that you found the need to clean the tanks so often but not the filters?

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds