water collection

More
7 months 1 week ago #559035 by Maike
water collection was created by Maike
We collect our drinking water and live close to a small pine plantation. To filter the pine needles and other debris out, we installed gutter foam.Once a year during pine flowering time, we disconnect the collection system and clean the foam. I find it labour intensive and also the foam seem to disintegrate/break down around the edges when cleaning it. I am wondering if there are recommendations for a better filtration system. I do not want to buy a new set of foam every year and the old pads going into the landfill. 
Thanks in advance for any feedback.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago #559036 by mattib
Replied by mattib on topic water collection
I am not much help but curious what you end up with. I have started looking at leaf guards/mesh for our gutters as well as there are what i think are fine Rimu leaves hanging over our roof at parts, and we are 2 story so rather perilous getting up there to clean them out. Those foam ones and the gutter whiskers apparently break down fairly quickly from what i have read, and from what i can see would tend to block up quickly with fine leaves and needles.

Living with my head in the clouds in the Waitakere Ranges

More
7 months 1 week ago #559037 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic water collection
I use the bristles and only put them where the downspout is, they last forever. Probably if you are collecting water from the roof then you need downspout filters as well. It's a big job cleaning gutters, you can get them vacuumed out but having brackets every metre makes it a curse. Gutters are the most neglected item on a house. I have just replaced some metal ones with Zincalume and it cost $400 for 12 metres!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 months 1 week ago #559044 by Maike
Replied by Maike on topic water collection
Thanks for your reply. Yes, we have a down spout filter as well. Will look into mashed wire cover next. We also have dorper sheep and for the first time a set of twin lambs, born lat night. Can you think of any special advice for the ewe?
Thanks

More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #559047 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic water collection
great news re lambs, Dorpers do tend towards twins, and can have shorter gestation times than other breeds meaning you get more lambs over the years. It can work the other way though as my ewe had triplets 3 weeks ago and it was too much for her and being very frosty we lost them. My advice is to let the mum alone, she knows what to do and generally Dorper lambs are up and running very fast. Try to get them used to you hand feeding them with kitchen scraps, not meat of course-that's for the chickens. Any tree/shrub prunings they will enjoy and they know what's not safe to eat. That way they will become very friendly and easy to handle.
Back to your roof water - you can get bristles from Bunnings so go ahead with that. Do you have a filter on the outlet to the house? You need a 1 micron filter with roof water, just imagine all the bird poop you are enjoying - and you worried about the odd glass of wine, ha ha! Long term look at putting in a bore and deep well pump.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by tonybaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maike

More
7 months 1 day ago #559063 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic water collection
I have a leaf slide on every downpipe. They certainly keep anything bigger than a millimetre or so out of the tanks, but pine pollen and other dusts get through. 

Their stainless steel mesh filters get blocked with algal growth quite frequently, though, and those are a bugger to clean. The mesh has to be removed and scrubbed under a tap. The exposed edges of the mesh will draw blood if I am not careful. I have nine of them, and I guess I clean them about every three months. It takes less than an hour to do the lot, so it's more an irritation than a hardship. 

We've been here thirteen years now, and thanks to the accumulation of suspended fine stuff that does get through into the tanks, the replacement intervals for the 20-micron filter element immediately after the pump are getting shorter and shorter. When the house was brand new the filter element lasted more than two years. Now it's down to eight months. The water in the tanks looks perfectly clean, and there's no significant build-up of crud on the bottom. The outlets are 200mm above the bottom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maike

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds