Rodents under house...a losing battle?

More
8 months 13 hours ago #558990 by Ramsay
Hi
Firstly I don't have an issue with rodents under my house.
If there are any there I have not noticed.

What I want to ask is should I try and make the underneath of my place rodent proof?
This is what my baseboards look like right now.

I am going to remove the cement type baseboards as they are broken and I need to get under there and sort a bit of drainage and water pipes.

Looking to replace with a more suitable style...main house is 100 yrs old.

As you can see there are plenty of gaps in the wooden baseboard style that would give rodents access under house.
But I need those gaps to make sure I have enough ventilation to keep under the house dry.

So do you guys even bother with trying to prevent rodents access under your house?
I have been hitting them hard with poison bait and havent seen any around lately...so I am not overrun with rodents.

Thanks
Richard

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 8 hours ago #558993 by tonybaker
no such thing as rodent proof so go for the increased ventilation. Rats will come for the kitchen area as they can smell food even through concrete. Keep on with the baits, I nail mine to a board so they can't carry them off! Try to reduce their hiding places by clearing all rubbish around the house. I once got a bad infestation which took a lot of eliminating until I realised they were living under the woodshed. The main task is to reduce their food source, that's what they are looking for.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #558994 by Muz1
Vermin proofing under house is not practical but while under the house try to seal off gaps where pipes enter the house. The little buggers can get through very small holes.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #558999 by smudge
I would concentrate on the outer areas. Rural properties will always have rodents. I would poison the boundaries and trap close to the house. No matter what you do they will always come back

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #559002 by tonybaker
the thing is - they are looking for food so don't leave scraps under the sink or pet food in bowls around the house. Baiting is a regular task so keep at it.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #559004 by LongRidge
Remember that many of the baits make the rodent thirsty, so put some water near to the bait.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds