Have I ruined my new chainsaw?

More
1 year 5 days ago #558627 by Off.the.grid
I got a new Stihl chainsaw a year ago and I must admit I dont know a huge amount about the things, but was given a rundown of its operation by the dealer when I bought it.
Anyway, its been a while since ive needed to use it and I thought I was doing the right thing by applying the chain brake and giving it a good rev up to warm it up and clear it out after several months of no use.
I noticed quite a bit of smoke coming out the bottom and sparks of sawdust falling out, but then it cleared and I assumed it was just the exhaust burning the sawdust trapped inside and didnt think much about it until I disengaged the chain brake and noticed how it was able to rev far more than it did, I just thought at first that the engine was sluggish for not being used for a bit.
Thats when It dropped that I had done something wrong.
I always thought that this was the normal procedure for warming up a chainsaw and a good safety precaution. I was never told to never rev the engine with the brake applied, I know its my own fault for not going through the user manual, but I honestly thought I was doing the right thing.
I had probably done this a few times in the past, either accidentally or intentionally, I just normally didnt rev the thing much in the past because I didnt feel it needed much of a warm up due to regular use at the time.
I thought that when the brake was engaged that it basically disengaged the chain so that it was not being driven by the engine, but it appears that it actually just locks up the chain and will just cause your clutch to slip which was probably making all the smoke.
The motor still seems to run OK, but the chain will keep moving when the engine is idling, which is weird, because if the clutch was burnt out, I would have thought the opposite would have happened?
A quick google seems to indicate its a common mistake that many people have made. Would be interested to know who else has had this happen, but im hoping its just a new clutch that is needed, saw seems to operate OK other than that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 days ago #558628 by tonybaker
First of all go and stand in the naughty corner! After 15 minutes, come out and order a new clutch from TradeMe and spend a couple of hours on YouTube watching this video on how to replace it! Next birthday buy your wife a battery chainsaw .

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 5 days ago #558631 by smudge
The brake is a pretty easy unit to change. I'm not sure on the cost but yeah go have a look on TradeMe

More
1 year 4 days ago #558632 by neil postie
pulling the clutch out is easy FYI when I was a newbie chainsaw person the Sthil shop guys told me to sharpen the teeth every time I refill with petrol. What they didn't tell me was the file is only good for 6-7 uses, I used it for 6 months probably well over 100 'sharpenings'. Thought it worth posting here.

More
1 year 4 days ago #558634 by Off.the.grid
Yeah, replacing the clutch looks like not a big deal. I was more concerned about what other damage it's done. The manual says something about it will damage your powerhead and reading online, this means it will melt the housing. Does this sound right?

More
1 year 4 days ago #558635 by smudge
Of course they will say that. Take it apart if you have the ability (no offence intended) and if the plastic ware is melted looking then let me know. I'm pretty sure it will be fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Off.the.grid

More
1 year 4 days ago #558636 by smudge
Just on the chain saw files only lasting 6 or 7 sharpenings, the files with the flay guide and marked with the different angles also allow the file to be rotated. Mark the file and the guide and you can tell which part of the file is worn or ok

More
1 year 4 days ago #558637 by Off.the.grid
OK, sounds good.
I think I will end up doing this as i want to avoid embarrassment when i take it to the dealer for its next service anyway, dont want them seeing it like this and it looks like a simple enough job.

More
1 year 4 days ago #558638 by Off.the.grid
Wouldnt surprise me if those files dont last long.
I bought a proper sharpener and it makes it a breeze, even one swipe is enough to sharpen the chain.
I know the teeth on those chains can be rather hard so will be interesting to see how long the files on this sharpener last, but the crappy ozito electric chainsaw I once had blunted my file virtually instantly.

More
1 year 4 days ago #558639 by smudge
Ooops flay was meant to be FLAT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Off.the.grid

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds