Planting trees in flood damaged lifestyle block

More
1 year 1 month ago #558491 by AppleHB
Luckily we haven't been too badly affected on our Hawke's Bay lifestyle block. We have an ephemeral stream or two on our land and the water has flattened the long grass that lay alongside these streams. The grass has been a bit of a pain to deal with this year (we have no stock) so I was wondering whether I should take advantage of this flat and yellowing grass, hope it stays flat to the ground, use it as mulch, and plant trees amongst it. I guess what I am wanting to know is whether this very wet grass will just spring back to life, in that case, I won't plant new trees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #558492 by tonybaker
the grass will come back eventually along with some weeds but now is a good time to plant trees climatically.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 1 month ago #558522 by max2
We had natives planted before the floods and couldn't see them at all.  As soon as the water came down and the sun came out, up they came.   the grass really protected them during the (few) hotter days earlier on.

I had a regional council person out to look at our damages and she suggested to keep on planting more trees because the roots will get down and hold the banks for the future.  they provided free to us poplar and willow poles and covers, so it might pay for you to approach your regional council and ask what they offer.  In the meanwhile we are also contributing to tree planting with exotics so it should be quite pretty there in coming years. 

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558556 by taytum.emberlynn@gmail.com
It's possible that the flattened and yellowed grass will spring back to life as the weather dries up and warms up, especially if it's a warm-season grass. However, if you're interested in planting trees, using the flattened grass as mulch is a good idea as it can help retain moisture in the soil and suppress weed growth. If the grass does recover, you can simply mow it or cut it back to keep it under control. Alternatively, you could consider removing the grass and planting your trees in a bare soil area. Ultimately, the decision depends on your goals for your property and your personal preferences.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds