Gabrielle

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #558444 by kate
Gabrielle was created by kate
Gabrielle is getting nearer and it's time to batten down the hatches. Here are some useful links
www.weatherwatch.co.nz/news
www.civildefence.govt.nz/
www.aucklandemergencymanagement.org.nz/.../lifest ...
www.mpi.govt.nz/.../55516-2023-Auckland-flood ... Stay safe!
We maybe in line for a direct hit the way it's looking now I think being off-grid may work out well for us, and any neighbours who need it.
If you have any advice or experiences to share now is the time!

Web Goddess
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by kate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #558449 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Gabrielle
To late now for advice on this one but my advice for the next one is make a list (love a good list) that way you hopefully wont forget to do something next time. We're off grid as well, sorta comforting knowing they'll be no power cuts. Already pretty unpleasant here in Waihi but as yet nothing special. Take care up there

More
1 year 2 months ago #558450 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Gabrielle
The frustrating thing is just waiting to see if there will be any trees down, slips or - worst of all - damage to the goat sheds. There's not a lot we can do to mitigate any of that at this point.

The wind and rain are picking up

Web Goddess

More
1 year 2 months ago #558452 by kate
The goat shed roof is half off...hope everyone else is faring better...

Web Goddess

More
1 year 2 months ago #558453 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Gabrielle
All well here at Kerikeri Inlet, but the wind is definitely the strongest we've had since moving here 14 years ago. As an ex-Wellingtonian, I am not unused to strong winds, but this is something else.  We have had 60-odd millimetres of rain from 0000 to 2125 Sunday.

The worst is yet to come. The latest forecasts show Gabrielle's track passing very close East of us, with a central pressure of around 960hPa (possibly a record low).

More
1 year 2 months ago #558455 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Gabrielle
Are the goats ok?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

More
1 year 2 months ago #558458 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Gabrielle
Our cattle were moved out of the wetland paddock to higher, drier pasture on Saturday evening.

Did anyone else on Sunday get the one to two hour calm that was sandwiched between the strong winds?
The winds were stronger when they kicked back in.

We have had a small amount of rain; less than 60mm so far. Pine trees are thankfully still standing.

Solar power system seems to have gotten wet and still not started up yet, at 11:58am. Will have to run the generator soon as we are in at 84% battery charge.

Had to run the generator last night and checked on our neighbours that they had power as they are on the grid. Their power had just been restored.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #558459 by kate

Are the goats ok?

They're not happy....but they're okay
Here they are just before the roof started to rip yesterday afternoon,

last night when the roof ripped

this morning when the rest of the roof ripped

and with the tarp covers a very helpful couple of neighbours helped us to put up this morning.

Web Goddess
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by kate.

More
1 year 1 month ago #558460 by kate
Easily the worst weather we've had since we've been here. We've had 205mm of rain in the last 2 days. The winds have been ferocious. The power was off in the neighbourhood but being off grid we were fine on that front. The cellphone tower went out but is now back. My phone got moisture in the charger port and refused to charge and then died....it's been a hell of a couple of days and it's not over yet.

Take care out there!

Web Goddess

More
1 year 1 month ago #558463 by kate
And it gets worse.....
At least three trees down overnight, one blocking our driveway (now cleared) and two huge old pines which have fallen in opposite directions, one into the paddock and one over the drive that gives access to the goat shed that now has no roof at all.
 It seems that most of the small field shelters have lost their roofing iron too.
Tree on road

Tree in paddock

I am well and truly over this!

Web Goddess
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #558464 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Gabrielle
We've had one big Macrocarpa down from the creek bank. It's over the fence, but so far the fence is ok as the tree had a very dense top which is holding the trunk up as well. Then, our very big very old triple trunk Macrocarpa is also down from same creek. That fence is flattened. Goats were safe. Their house is a wood and corrugated iron structure and they have been locked in for two days. The orchard is a mess. Two big feijoa badly damaged by split branches at trunks, our fav. Plum tree lying on its side. Might be able to heavily prune that and stand and stake it back up, Green peaches down all over the ground, and my Granny-Smith apple loaded with fruit is also on its side. but base is still in the ground. With it, I'll try and take the fruit through until April/May to see if we get something off it, then heavily prune and stand it back up. We were supposed to be getting our new Barn door I today, but it would be rather dangerous trying to install that in this very fierce wind. OH put a plastic tarp up over the doorway last night to protect the hay, but tarp a lot worse for wear this morning. He's now nailed battens over the edges to keep it there, and that seems a bit stronger.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
1 year 1 month ago #558471 by RichardF
Replied by RichardF on topic Gabrielle
Hope everyone is ok after the storm. Feeling for anyone in Hawkes Bay.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #558500 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Gabrielle
Apologies for the late response, been a little busy here in Hawkes Bay.

We came out of it alright, about 2Ha underwater that cleared over about 8 hours, and our lovely big old willow succumbed to...something, not sure if it was a lightning strike (huge boom at 06:05am on the Saturday) or it's just split open due to  ground instability. Can't see any scorch marks on it but I only spent enough time near it to cut it off one of the fences. It's leaning in all directions and I'm waiting for the rain to stop long enough (any day now, surely!) for me to take a closer look.

We also had a lot of scouring in the lime driveway when the council drain overflowed and that was the next best downhill path. We can still get in and out without trouble so we changed our focus to helping out others. We've spent the best part of the past 3 weeks clearing mud, before connecting with the local food bank and setting up supply runs to remote areas to deliver staple foods and toiletries to isolated communities. I've had to get back to my day job but my wife is carrying on til the end of this week with it.

I'd already moved our stock in anticipation of some ponding but we got far more than expected since the Karamu stream backed up and there was a domino effect. We still have some water lying around in pug marks but that should slowly clear.

We lost a hay crop that was about to be cut, and the quality of grass in most of the paddocks is pretty bad now, but we're well understocked so it's not too much of a concern.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Hertz Donut.

More
1 year 1 month ago #558501 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Gabrielle
Good to read that you're relatively alright!

More
1 year 1 month ago #558503 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Gabrielle
I am glad you are OK, have not lost anything that can't be fixed or replaced, even if it will be a lot of work, and I am glad you are in a position where you can help people out and get out and about.
Those who are stuck will be getting fed up with it as things drag on, but there is so much to do it will be some time yet by the sound of it.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds