Stabilising slip after rain - suggestions?

More
1 year 2 months ago #558387 by Off.the.grid
We have a drain which flows through a culvert and down under our driveway into a stream, it looks like there has been a little bit of a slip, likely started from the water washing away the bottom, we havent lost much, but I dont want it to get worse or eventually it may get close to the driveway, there is alot of hard sandstone on most of the property, I think this has been filled in and excavated partially by the last owner, he has put a few large boulders there, but think it could perhaps do with some more.
I was also looking at perhaps building it up with bags of concrete and let them to set, or would tyres filled with rocks and gravel work better?
Ive also seen the steel cages filled with rocks.
I think the idea is to protect the bank from water flow eroding it. There is always a ton of water that comes through here when it rains and we have had no issues.
Any ideas would be good. See photos

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #558402 by max2
Most of our land is based on limestone and we have had massive ones.   Our regional council offers willow and poplar pole planting funding, but it goes through a contractor who does budgets each year.   

have you considered getting in touch with your regional council to see what they can offer or suggest? 

More
1 year 1 month ago #558473 by Off.the.grid
That could work, but it would mean that there would be alot of branches that would require trimming by the driveway, perhaps a poplar would be better?
Do poplars hold up banks quite well?
I was looking at stacking up bags of concrete and driving waratahs through them and letting the cement set.
Putting plastic down may help the flow of water stop eating away too, ive put down some stones for now anyway, but perhaps some geotech fabric wired to the bank would help?

More
1 year 1 month ago #558474 by lsbloke
Hi there OTG,

the advice to talk to your council is good - if there is wider weakness in the land then trees will really help - we got council subsidised fodder poplar and willows hundreds of them and thy have really helped on some steeper sidings.  The pics of the waterway helps but you need to think about the catchment size  - map out the highest  points  360 degrees around that drain to guage the volume of water heading down that creek in heavy rain  if its a torrent then you want to build up the sides with rocks and concrete - really creating a drain to contain the flow.  Again best consult knowledgeable folk at council about how best to line and build the drain - once its off your land it will become someone elses's problem so help them out too!!

Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #558475 by Off.the.grid
It looks to me like some of this had been filled in at some point as Ive found a rotten branch burried below that is now exposed after the slip (you can see it in the photo).
Its not a stream, but its a drain that is feeding a catchment, its always been a water course, but its fed directly from a culvert that runs under our driveway.
It will dry up after a few days after the rain. The rest of it is a rocky bed largely with sandstone.
Our property is part of a catchment and most of the water enters from the pine forest behind us and then makes its way into a settlement pond which was dug some years ago when this property used to have forestry on it.
The pond overflows and enters the drain which goes through the culvert and concrete pipe beneath the drive.
This place often gets heavy rain, but it was overly heavy last month when we had all the rainfall and flooding in Auckland.
The culvert actually overflowed and ran down our driveway for a bit. It doesnt normally get that much rain that it cant cope with.
I was more concerned about it all slipping away to our driveway, but the driveway is cut into pretty hard sandstone so I dont think we are at any risk of loosing our driveway, its only a small section thats affected, the stream goes right down hill and feeds a stream that also dries up a few weeks after rain.
I guess there is no harm in talking to the council to see what they suggest.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Off.the.grid.

More
1 year 1 month ago #558533 by max2
Which are you in?    the Waikato regional one has been good to talk to re planting support, but not so much the guy who came out to view our slips which affect the creeks, I think that is only because they are very overwhelmed at present and our work isn't life or limb threatening..

But our planting contact said any trees would be good to retain the banks somewhat, so we are also putting in exotics as well as the poplar and willow.   

The following user(s) said Thank You: Off.the.grid

More
1 year 1 month ago #558536 by tonybaker
grab some Tagasaste seed and throw that around!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558550 by Off.the.grid
Im in the western bay of plenty, I guess I should ask the council and see what they suggest.
Im wondering if I could get one of those PVC sleeves that you see attached at the end of culverts, they allow the water to exit without touching the ground, that would probably suit, but I dont know if they make them to fit onto large concrete pipes.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds