Septic pumping

More
1 year 5 months ago #558216 by brucieboy
Septic pumping was created by brucieboy
Had Dr Septic (previously GT Environmental?) over  in the Wairarapa to pump out an old septic tank. It had not been used for 3 years and not much prior to that.  The pumping took no longer than 5 mins and am confident there was not enough in my tank to fill the truck's tank. The bill was $771. I was expecting about half that - keeping in mind cost increases and only a little to pump out. What have others encountered with regards to cost for emptying their septic tanks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558217 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Septic pumping
We're in Hawkes Bay, our last 2 empties were $300 in September 2021, and $350 in June this year. We're having to get it pumped every 9 months or so due to a tail drain blockage somewhere that I haven't had time to find. Yet another task on the to-do list.

$771 sounds like way too much to me.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558218 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Septic pumping
From memory it cost me a bit over $500 earlier this year to have 12 years' worth pumped out.
But the amount of solid waste removed has little if any bearing on the cost. By the time the costs of the travel (base to the, tank to discharge site, then back to base) are added to the dump fee, plus the considerable expenses of running the business, I think $500 is perfectly reasonable. The guy's in business to make a profit, after all.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558219 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Septic pumping
That brings up a valid point - we live right on a rural/urban boundary, so there's very little travel involved in getting to us. If you're remote you can expect to pay more for mileage.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558221 by barabrae
Replied by barabrae on topic Septic pumping
I think a lot of it comes down to the tip fees in the area with what is deemed hazardous waste , really high in Wellington region.
Worth checking those fees at your closest tip .

More
1 year 5 months ago #558222 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Septic pumping
I don't think this waste can be just dumped at any old tip. It has to be take to a designated disposal facility. Sod's law dictates that that facility will be at least an hour's drive away, and the cost of that mileage and travel time is naturally reflected in the bill.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558224 by PatrickHerd
Replied by PatrickHerd on topic Septic pumping
At least for South Wairarapa Council they charge $62 per cubic metre to dump septic waste: swdc.govt.nz/wp-content/uploads/Schedule...-2022-2023_final.pdf And bear in mind that's regardless of whether the waste is pure water or pure sludge. So that charge plus machine time, travel, diesel, wages, etc gets pretty spendy unfortunately.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558225 by brucieboy
Replied by brucieboy on topic Septic pumping
What was your last bill? I believe the operator has got my property confused with another as he was only pumping for 5 mins. I have no issues with paying for them to get to my site (just over 1km from town edge) and to Carterton.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558226 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Septic pumping
pretty sure you got charged for the previous clients stuff as well! I have had trouble where the suckers turn up with a nearly full tank and don't fully clean out the tank. You have to keep an eye on them. Either there wasn't much crap in your tank or as I say he was nearly full on arrival and could only pump for a few minutes.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds