Fencing help with wonky posts

More
1 year 5 months ago #558042 by neil postie
Hi all, I am in the process of replacing our boundary fence (about 1km total). Most of the posts are concrete some of which are leaning over, either through ground movement or cattle pushing on them (see photo if you don't know what a leaning over post is ;-)). Is there an easy way to straighten them? Some I could get a rope on and try pulling using the 4WD (no tractor) but others are inaccessible except by foot. The other problem I have is there is an area where the neighbours have dug out a track which has made the fence posts slip sideways (photo 2). Any ideas what I can do here? Possibly gruntier/deeper posts? I am going to put a hotwire the full length to keep the cow people from scratching on it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558043 by LongRidge
I think that you will find that the posts break just below ground level if you push or pull them hard enough to straighten them. You will probably find that you need to dig at the back of the post until you are able to push or pull it without it breaking, so nearly full depth for some of them. Then refill the open side with soil or better still gravel, and good sized stones and ram well.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #558045 by tonybaker
looks like it was a DIY install and posts are not in the ground far enough. Good idea to electrify the fence, although it's not quite so easy if pressure is from both sides of fence. I have straightened a post on soft ground by hammering in a waratah, Y post alongside it. Is the neighbour going to help, looks like he may have machinery? By the way, that fence is not much good for sheep.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by tonybaker.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558048 by neil postie
Thanks for the advice, I'm re wiring a section at the moment where the posts are straight and was hoping for an easy workaround to fix the leaning posts but it looks like I'll have to do it the hard way (digging out). The posts in the second photo probably were in far enough originally but the ground has slipped out under them. The fence will have a hot wire to keep the cattle away. No sheep around here, this be dairy country.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558050 by tonybaker
if you are going to electrify, you can just straighten the posts up and ram them tight, should be ok as stock won't push against it. Another trick is to roundup about a metre along the fenceline on your side so hungry stock don't get tempted to push and feed.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 5 months ago #558053 by lsbloke
You've had good advice - you can straighten them with a bit of digging - they are pretty heavy and tough to dig in from scratch.

I think you can get offsets for them from the rural resellers to string up your hot wire(s) and protect your investment of time and sweat!!

Good luck

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds