Lamb can't use its front legs

More
1 year 8 months ago #557472 by Dr Spock
Hi all. I have a 7 month old lamb who has suddenly lost the use of its front legs. Seems bright enough otherwise. I have been giving it antiflams and antibiotics but they haven't made any difference. Its feet seem okay. Maybe one knee could be a bit swollen.
Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #557475 by 16 Paws
I don’t have an answer. I guess it depends how precious the lamb is to you. In addition to the anti-inflammatory and antibiotics, you could try confining it in a pen with access to hay/grass/nuts and water. A period of rest somewhere it feels safe may help. And easier if you want to get the vet to it.

More
1 year 8 months ago #557479 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Lamb can't use its front legs
Was the mum vaccinated?  Have you thought about navel ill? Have you talked to a vet?
Sorry it's all questions and no answers...

Web Goddess

More
1 year 8 months ago #557486 by LongRidge
I too would guess a "navel ill" infection that got in at birth but the bacteria not grown until now to cause "joint ill". You are very likely to need more than one course of antibiotics, and at the highest dose that the packet indicates.

More
1 year 8 months ago #557493 by Dr Spock
Lamb's Mum would have been vaccinated. I haven't been to the vet (the cost outweighs the value of lamb) and I have anti biotics on hand at the moment. The lamb seems quite bright otherwise.
I have been using some tylovet I have but I also have intracillin - would that be the better one to use?
Thanks

More
1 year 8 months ago #557497 by LongRidge
The pre-lamb vaccine only protects against the Clostridial diseases, not against other bacteria.
If the first antibiotic has not worked well I would be inclined to use the other. We find that often the first injection works well for a while and then the problem re-occurs. We have better success if we inject before the problem flares up again.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds