How do you treat Mastitis

More
2 years 3 months ago #556145 by Dr Spock
My cow, after everything she has been through in recent times, has now developed what I suspect to be mastitis. She has a hard quarter, the first squirt of milk has a few lumps but seems fine after that but congeals on contact with detergent. Her udder doesn't feel hot and isn't red and she seems to be healthy otherwise.
I have some bivotop and intracillin on hand. Should I give her a dose of one of these? Is one better than the other? What else should I do?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556146 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic How do you treat Mastitis
Sounds like mastitis. Intracillin would probably clear it up, but it would be better to get some intramammary tubes from the vet so you just treat the infected quarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr Spock

More
2 years 3 months ago #556147 by Stikkibeek
I have had very good success with Clavulox in a teat injectable tube. Dose rate is one tube per day or as prescribed. It is a prescription medication so you need to consult your vet to get it. You can also get a pre-treatment milk sample sent to the lab for ID so the vet can give you the most effective medicine for the type of bacteria your cow has.
Milk the quarter out daily and discard. Gently insert the tube nozzle into the teat as far as it will go, and squeeze plunger to insert the contents. Remove tube and gently hold the end of teat to close off the milk vein and massage the contents of the tube up into the udder using thumb and fore finger. Gently massage the udder upwards to help disperse the medication. Then, let go of the end of the teat. There will be a with-holding period for the milk so read instructions. My vet gives a 5 day course of Clavulox but will prescribe more if required. It can take a little while for the hardness to subside. Carefully examine the teat for any sign of cuts or cracks especially near the end of the teat, and use teat salve to help heal. If you are using the rest of the milk for the house, that should be ok. Just make sure you milk the non infected quarters first and use some idophor teat wash at the start of each milking. it will help prevent spreading the mastitis to other quarters. Always wash your hands before you start milking and you can also wear gloves. Some people can carry some microbial nasties on their hands.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 3 months ago #556169 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic How do you treat Mastitis
I'm issued Penclox from our vet which is a teat tube injectible. However (der to me) I forgot about the calf suckling Mum's 1/4's and I wasn't seeing any results.

A friend on a corporate dairy farm gave me a copy of their procedure, as follows:

1st line treatment: Penclox 1200 1 tube for affected 1/4 every 24 hours for 3 treatments

1st calvers and multiple 1/4 cows: Penetheject 20ml Im daily for 3 consecutive days.

later Lactation/2nd line treatment: Penclox 1200 one tube per affected 1/4 every 24 hours for 3 - 6 treatment plus Tylovet* 25ml IM daily for 3 - 5 days after the initial 3 days of penclox.

* Tylovet I used to be provided this to give to our cows on my vet list and found it an awesome product however our vet said the product is no longer available. I am aware of other people using it last year, whether that be old stock or not, I do not know.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556171 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic How do you treat Mastitis
Tylovet has been further restricted because of the danger of antibiotic resistance (it's an important antibiotic for human use). They aren't allowed to dispense it for you to have on hand, it has to be for a specific animal for one time use only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
2 years 3 months ago #556176 by Dr Spock
Replied by Dr Spock on topic How do you treat Mastitis
Tylovet is what my vet has recommended and prescribed. He said it is also the cheaper option and the milk can still be fed to calves.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556178 by Dr Spock
One of three doses of the Tylovet last night and what a difference when I milked her this morning!! Much softer 1/4s, easier to milk and more milk. Wow! Long may it last.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556189 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic How do you treat Mastitis

Tylovet has been further restricted because of the danger of antibiotic resistance (it's an important antibiotic for human use). They aren't allowed to dispense it for you to have on hand, it has to be for a specific animal for one time use only.

Thank you Jaybee that is good to know I can request single treatment doses. I was told outright it was no longer being supplied.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556256 by Dr Spock
Ok - yes I got excited too soon. After seeing such a great result after her first treatment her udder is feeling hard again and the milk still gets sludgy when detergent is added. Maybe not quite as bad but still...
I'm going to send some samples away as Stikkibeek suggested.
A treatment is only cheaper if it works.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556259 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic How do you treat Mastitis
Did you give all three doses of the Tylovet? With antibiotics (and drenches except levamisol) it is always far safer long term to give way too much rather than slightly not enough. But do under-dose minerals.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556260 by Dr Spock
Yes. I gave all three of them.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds