Young ewe won't lie down

More
2 years 9 months ago #555526 by Cmj
Young ewe won't lie down was created by Cmj
Hello,
I am fairly new to lifestyle block living.
I have a one year old ewe/lamb who hasn't wanted to or been able to lie down for 3 days now. She is still eating, but her legs are a bit stiff, maybe from standing so long. She does droop her head quite abit.I think she is accidentally in lamb from my pet who was obviously not castrated properly as two other ewes have had lambs.Rang my vet but didn't seem to have any answers. Thought I would try here before I contact another vet. Thank you for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #555527 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Young ewe won't lie down
Catch her and sniff her vagina. If it smells like pee then put a finger into then smell that. If either smell rotten then the lamb has died inside her. When that happens it is usually impossible to get the lamb out, and even if you do get the lamb out the ewe almost always dies. So take a very sharp knife with you to cut her throat if she stinks.

More
2 years 9 months ago #555528 by 16 Paws
Replied by 16 Paws on topic Young ewe won't lie down
Longridge, your reply seems like a fairly big leap form the original poster’s question! Are there any signs the ewe is about to give birth? Has her udder “bagged up”? How well is she grazing and moving around the paddock? If she is in late pregnancy, she could be developing sleepy sickness; that will often reduce activity, but normally the sheep would be lying down. Does she seem to be in pain? Any grinding of her teeth or arching of her back? Lots of things to look at besides vaginal odour in my opinion.

More
2 years 9 months ago #555529 by Live4cows
Replied by Live4cows on topic Young ewe won't lie down

Catch her and sniff her vagina. If it smells like pee then put a finger into then smell that. If either smell rotten then the lamb has died inside her. When that happens it is usually impossible to get the lamb out, and even if you do get the lamb out the ewe almost always dies. So take a very sharp knife with you to cut her throat if she stinks.

Is that appropriate or even legal to kill an animal while fully conscious?

More
2 years 9 months ago #555530 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Young ewe won't lie down
I'm not a lot of help I'm afraid, most of us have trouble with getting an animal to stand rather than lie down. I would talk to another vet if your own is not being helpful. Some form of arthritis could be the problem but it could be any number of things too.

Very frustrating for you I know, been there and done that.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
2 years 9 months ago #555531 by Cmj
Replied by Cmj on topic Young ewe won't lie down
Thank you for your suggestions. I have another vet who is willing to come look at her tomorrow. But tonight at 11.15pm I went to check her for the night and she is lying down! I have checked her numerous times day and night for the last few days and this is the first time. I separated her from the others today and she has a nice sheltered warm bed , so not sure if that helped. I also gave her glucose, Abit of magnesium and a vitamin B12 shot. Thought it couldn't hurt. She has eaten some sheep nuts so hopefully coming right. Guess I will learn the signs with time.

More
2 years 9 months ago #555684 by kairara
Replied by kairara on topic Young ewe won't lie down
Interested in what the outcome was. Did she lamb?

Live in Northland NZ. 30 sheep mostly East Friesians, 5 cows,70 acreas mostly trees Lifestyle Block.

More
2 years 9 months ago #555696 by Cmj
Replied by Cmj on topic Young ewe won't lie down
Thanks for your enquiry, I didn't get the vet out in the end , as she seem to have come right, she had some diarrhea, but after electrolytes and the cobalt shot she was much better. Took her off the sheep nuts, only got hay and what grass there is! Maybe the nuts didn't agree with her. I don't think she is in lamb after all. I guess they can be like people and just get upset gut!.

More
2 years 8 months ago #555744 by kairara
Replied by kairara on topic Young ewe won't lie down
Thank you very much for your reply.

Live in Northland NZ. 30 sheep mostly East Friesians, 5 cows,70 acreas mostly trees Lifestyle Block.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds