Lambs killed in paddock

More
2 years 10 months ago #555303 by Daisyevans
Our first lot of lambs were born today and we went into the paddock and all that was left was there legs every other part has been eaten. We are presuming a dog and leftovers taken by a hawk?
Any suggestions????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555306 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Lambs killed in paddock
That's awful. I am so sorry.
In my experience hawks don't take things far, or eat a huge amount.

When my dog kills and eats a possum, she doesn't eat the whole thing straight away, but she carries the whole carcass off after a small meal to bury it out of sight of the hawks. The only bit she leaves lying around is the stomach pouch after digging the carcass up each time for several separate feeds. But she is regularly fed, so a stray would probably eat more at a time.

I imagine if dogs have killed several animals, they would leave more remains lying around.

Are there wild pigs around you? I don't know what they'd leave behind.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555307 by Daisyevans
Replied by Daisyevans on topic Lambs killed in paddock
Definitely no pigs around here so much have been the neighbours dogs that roam around.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555308 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Lambs killed in paddock
Despite having farmed most of my adult life, this sort of thing is still heart breaking and I feel for you.

This will be dogs without a doubt, especially as you say you have no pigs in the vicinity, and your neighbour's dogs roam around. Number one priority is to deal with the neighbour's dogs and quickly if you still have ewes to lamb. If the neighbours won't come to the party and control their dogs, don't muck around but get on to your local council dog control - and keep pestering them until they do something. Do you have a firearms licence and a .22 - if so, start using it. Also bring the ewes in closer to the house if possible. Be prepared to do a bit a night patrolling, preferably with a rifle.

I like dogs and have always owned them, mostly working dogs but that doesn't necessarily make them stock proof. They are ALWAYS kenneled at night or when I'm not on the farm so that I know exactly where they are. I've had some horrendous and sickening loss of sheep to other peoples dogs and ran out of patience years ago with those who won't/can't control their dogs or who swear on their mothers grave that their dog would never do anything like that. Like Hell they wouldn't!

Would be interested to know how you go with this. Just remember, the dogs are taking meat off your plate and/or money out of your bank account.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
2 years 10 months ago #555309 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Lambs killed in paddock
If you are in far north heaps of wild dogs creating havoc with stock
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daisyevans

More
2 years 10 months ago #555384 by Daisyevans
Replied by Daisyevans on topic Lambs killed in paddock
Hi Ronnie

We moved the sheep closer to house behind a dog proof high fence. We had another lot of twins born amd they are doing well. Last night we had two lambs born and came out and they are dead in paddock looks like feet and tail has been chewed. But did the lambs die before being born or after we don’t know. It’s all a mystery but we arnt doing very well at this at all.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555385 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Lambs killed in paddock
first thing is call or email your neighbours and let them know what's happened. Don't accuse, just let them know. Then do same with dog control officer and police. Keep a record of who you have spoken to as it will be invaluable for future use.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 years 10 months ago #555386 by linrae
Take photos for evidence

More
2 years 10 months ago #555396 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Lambs killed in paddock
Some Councils will swab any bite areas for DNA to identify dogs, if the dogs are repeat offenders, or if you have a suspicion of which dog it is. The dog would need to be in the system or available to take DNA from.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555397 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Lambs killed in paddock
I sadly had to pull deceased twins from a ewe a couple of weeks back and all that is left of them are the legs and skulls. We have a family of hawks further along, and I see them circling every time I check on our stock.

So my answer would be hawks.

More
2 years 9 months ago #555403 by linrae
Any further happenings ???

More
2 years 9 months ago #555685 by kairara
Replied by kairara on topic Lambs killed in paddock
Taking a DNA swab is a Great idea. This was something new to me, Thank You for posting info.

Live in Northland NZ. 30 sheep mostly East Friesians, 5 cows,70 acreas mostly trees Lifestyle Block.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds