whats this weed?

More
2 years 10 months ago #555262 by neil postie
whats this weed? was created by neil postie
Hi all, I just spotted a plant I can't identify. The seed stems stand about 35-40cm high (look a bit like paspalum but very straight) while the plant itself is only a few cm high (so far). The leaves are also a bit like paspalum or a fine small flax. I'd supply a pic of the plant but they are in amongst other grasses so hard to see. Thanks for any help
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555269 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic whats this weed?
Im sorry, it's a bit hard to identify from your photo but looks like ratstail. A type of coarse grass that is largely unpalatable to sheep and cattle. Invasive and colonizes very quickly. Can you take a photo of it growing in your pasture - doesn't matter that we can't see the leaves, the growth pattern should be enough.

Cheers,
Ronnie
The following user(s) said Thank You: neil postie

More
2 years 10 months ago #555278 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic whats this weed?
I'd agree on rats tail..It's a tough grass that you can cut your hands on trying to pull out, it has a hard tough stalk and it will wear down the teeth on all animals including horses to the point they have difficulty eating.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: neil postie

More
2 years 10 months ago #555284 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic whats this weed?
Thanks Ronney and Stikkibeek, you nailed it. Thankfully its only a few plants on the drive so will be easy to kill off. Thanks for the help

More
2 years 10 months ago #555288 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic whats this weed?
Glad we got it for you. :)

I wage war on it up here so very strongly suggest you get on to them (glyphosate) NOW if they are seeding - I notice they are seeding here too but it keeps raining!

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds