Shed building companies?

More
2 years 2 months ago #556941 by bmt
Replied by bmt on topic Shed building companies?
I'm in the steel industry myself and deal with NZ steel products on a daily basis
This is how you tell if its a NZ steel products
Coloursteel has NZ Steel name, batch, product name and code printed at the back
Black steel and coils have this sticky plasticky label on them (top of the pallet).

Most coloursteel will rust if the installer doesn't know or doesn't care with what they doing.
rust usually starts on the cut edge or scratches or swarf or steel contamination.

And colour.. as mentioned above different company, use a different standard and different shade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #556943 by bmt
I'm dealing with Isaac at Xspan at the moment, shed ETA is 6 months but I cant pre order it,
council might not agreed with the shed size, colour or shed profile.
So have to wait for council to approved my R/C + B/C and that's another.... 8 months.
Its a hard long road to join LSB club.

More
2 years 2 months ago #556958 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Shed building companies?
I notice that XSpan mention NZ Steel in it's web site, however I would get some confirmation that ALL roofing and walls are made out of NZ Steel's product. Send the same letter/email to Metalcraft Roofing who actually roll the steel for them. It seems that the weak point on these sheds is the longevity of the exterior roofing fixings, you may want to discuss this with XSpan.
I suspect that council's concern will be that you will live in the shed and not get around to building that house. In my case I had to enter into a bond to ensure that I did build eventually, and yes, they did check but luckily for me they removed the wrong bond from my title!
Yes, it is frustrating waiting for council decisions but you can carry on with fencing, planting trees etc. There is plenty to do whilst you are waiting as I am sure you know!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 6 months ago #557959 by Westiechick
Hi BMT wondering how you got on with Xspan? We have had a disaster of a build with them.

More
1 year 6 months ago #557965 by bmt
Sorry to hear that,
I haven't received my building consent yet so I haven't placed an order with Xspan 
Hope your build disaster is not major or can be fixed.
Metal, building material/labour shortage, and prices have gone thru the roof lately
we decided to postpone the build and waited it out.
In the meantime, I do what I can on the land including 
building a 9x6m shelter (in progress) and containers as my temporary solution.
Hope you can solve the issue with Xspan and keep us posted

More
1 year 6 months ago #557968 by AppleHB
Replied by AppleHB on topic Shed building companies?
Always great to be part of this group and hear others thoughts. Would welcome any feedback (good or bad) on shed/garage suppliers in the Hawke's Bay area.

When I rang around last week, most couldn't start a build until July/August next year or even up to 12 months from now, start to finish. We want to build a shed pretty much like our neighbour's, which cost him just under $50,000 and was completed in August. He has a friend who also wants something similar and the quote is $20,000 more now!

More
1 year 5 months ago #557985 by Hertz Donut
What size shed is that, AppleHB? I'm clueless when it comes to larger shed costs. Our shed is on the backburner while we focus on fencing, drainage, tree planting, and me recovering from spending 6 weeks on crutches,

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
1 year 5 months ago #557992 by AppleHB
Hi Hertz Donut.
We are looking at something around the 12x7 size shed. Will be getting three quotes - so far it's in excess of $60,000 for what we want. I can totally understand why you are focusing on getting your land sorted while you wait it out and get better. We are doing much the same this year but at some stage we just have to bite the bullet.

More
1 year 5 months ago #557993 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Shed building companies?
I would get some concrete down now whilst the weather is improving, things will only get more expensive. Do you have your permit yet?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 5 months ago #557994 by AppleHB
Yes Tony, we are keen to move things along as fast as possible. Start time is still a minimum 6 months.

More
1 year 5 months ago #557996 by Westiechick
There have been a number of stuff ups including having to redo the foundation work, bad concrete pour (which results in on going maintenance for us) , issues with missing/damaged coloursteel components and not being able to properly measure for the flashings and having to go back to get them remanufactured multiple times. All this has meant that while we got the building consent and ordered the kitset back in Nov 2021, we still do not have a finished shed nearing Nov 2022. There has been no signs of concern that it is taking this long, no project management to anticipate things that may cause delays and order or book things in advance. Our house build was only 4 months and was a breeze in comparison to what should be a simple shed!!! Also costing in excess of $80k for 80m2 not including drainlaying and electrical fitout.

More
1 year 5 months ago #557997 by AppleHB
That's shocking Westiechick. Very stressful situation for what should be a relatively simple undertaking.

More
1 month 1 week ago #559530 by builtforfarming
How did you get on with xspan in the end? i'm having a complete disaster of an experience with them.

More
1 month 1 week ago #559531 by Westiechick
We got there in the end but as detailed above it was painful and took a lot longer than it should have, not as high quality as it should have and costed more. The customer is treated as the least important part ofvthe equation, if they stuff up, you are just expected to pay more. Wouldn't recommend Xspan to anyone. Also their vermin flashing doesn't work!

More
1 month 1 week ago #559538 by clcleggers
Replied by clcleggers on topic Shed building companies?
Check out Goldpines website, they are awesome and Pole sheds are the way to go if you can, they take the knocks and better to use locally sourced enviromentally friendly wood rather than imported steel. They may not be able to build in Auckland but can supply a kitset, plans and PS1 and you can support a local builder to work with.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds