Shed building companies?

More
2 years 10 months ago #555055 by Westiechick
Hi we are just looking at building an 80m2 shed/workshop just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for companies (particularly around north/west Auckland). We're looking at the obvious ones like Totalspan/Kiwispan etc but wondering if anyone has had good/bad experience.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555056 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Shed building companies?
We have a TS shed (and the following may apply to other companies as well) which is about 18 years old. Was built to house a truck workshop.

The steel used for the framing started to rust some time ago, and the access door is very flimsy, to the point I'm sure it wouldn't take much to push open when locked. Chains getting difficult to use on the roller doors, one, in particular, I won't use but have the OH open and close it when I need to move items out.

In hindsight, I would go with a shed manufacturer who uses wooden poles and offers the option of a properly secured fitted access door that isn't made of glass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Westiechick

More
2 years 10 months ago #555068 by max2
I thought of something else....

A lot of chinese made sheeting was making its way to our shores and so the Govt has added tariffs on the product now.

Up until then, there were a number of suppliers being very vague as to the origin of the sheeting. They would say that the barges/flashings etc had to be ordered separately.

This usually meant they were supplying Chinese sheeting (and yes there is a huge quality difference) and the barge material would be sourced from NZ suppliers such as NZ Steel who produce coils that both sheeting and flashings etc are made from.

Had a conversation the other day with a friend about a new shed. Package sourced from a local but fairly major player in the hardware industry in our area. The subject got around to the sheeting and whose product it was. She had been shown colour options by the hardware supplier, but when it came time to supply, was told she was ordering a premium colour and would have to pay more.

It looks like Mist Green which is a standard Colorsteel colour at standard pricing and the barges/flashings came separately. My friend was going to get back to me, and still might, as to whether the sheeting has the NZ Steel stamps on the back.

In summary, when you receive the quotes, ensure the steel manufacturer/roll form manufacturer is specified. Once erected, ask the Supplier to order the warranty from NZ Steel if that is what you buy. You must request it, it won't come automatically and will come in a folder with care instructions.

NZ Steel send coil directly to rolll form manufacturers such as metalcraft who then press it into whatever profile is required, in that colour and gauge. There is also a back log of orders since COVID, so be prepared for a bit of a wait.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #555069 by FrankCollette
You might be surprised how far sea spray is carried on the wind, in your location I would go for timber.

Plus if you want accommodation or long work hours in the building, metal buildings are not as healthy.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by FrankCollette.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555088 by Alan Gilbert
What's unhealthy about a metal shed? I'm in and out of my Totalspan every day.

Certainly it gets hot in the sun, and it's deafeningly noisy in heavy rain, but it hasn't yet given me Covid-19.

So what sort of illness should I be looking out for? And what evidence do you cite for your conclusions, please?

More
2 years 10 months ago #555089 by FrankCollette
Sorry my bad Alan, got that one wrong!

More
2 years 10 months ago #555090 by Alan Gilbert
Whew! You had me worried for a while. Never mind, all is forgiven.

The worst health hazard that I am aware of having experienced from the shed was my scrambling all over the roof, relying on friction, dumb luck, and cowardice to stop me falling off while I was replacing all the knackered Tek-screws holding the four translucent roof panels down.

The large rubber collars on the screws for those panels (not the ones used for the steel roof panels) perish after about eight years (here in the Far North, at least), and the roof starts to leak. When that happens, you will need to replace the screws in all those panels, not just the leaky ones. And because the roof steel is very thin, you're bound to tread it out of shape in the process. Guess how I know?

More
2 years 2 months ago #556810 by bmt
Replied by bmt on topic Shed building companies?
Hi, we just bought a bare land in Rodney Auckland and looking at to build 400m2 shed on it to start with then a house next year
With many shed companies out there not sure which one to use.
Was wondering, which shed company did author end up using or if you have any recommendation.
Thank you

More
2 years 2 months ago #556811 by Westiechick
We decided to go with Xspan. Still at the beginning of the build process with foundation to be done soon (hopefully!). Kiwispan seemed considerably more $$ and didn't like the Totalspan guy (too slick salesperson) e.g. sign here don't look carefully and then we've got you! Totalspan would have been cheaper though. Will let you know how we get on in the end but so far wouldn't rush to recommend Xspan as they seem a bit disorganised with not great communication. It's been a pretty slow process, some of that is our fault, but they don't seem to plan ahead and book things in advance and then there are delays for everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bmt

More
2 years 2 months ago #556812 by Westiechick
Also if you are looking for house building companies A1 in Kumeu were awesome for us, completely different experience to the shed (which you would think would be so simple in comparison). House was complete within 4 months (including the christmas break) and they were so reasonable, practical and flexible to deal with, totally recommend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bmt

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #556816 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Shed building companie
Our TS shed roof is leaking, I don’t say this lightly as we have a business in the construction industry, are licensed in our similar industry category so I don’t mind saying we know what we are looking at and for…

Although we didn’t see the construction of this shed and who undertook it, certainly wasn’t the property owner of the time, I watched one being erected on Buckland road Buckland in recent times. No fall protection on site whatsoever.

As a property owner, if you are engaging, or even doing it yourself, this type of construction be aware of your legal responsibility for issues such as working at heights. Please don’t take someone’s word that it is “ok”….
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by max2.

More
2 years 2 months ago #556820 by Hertz Donut
Not wanting to hijack the thread but I'd be interested to know if anyone's found a decent supplier for larger timber sheds/workshops (i.e. wooden framing and timber siding), on the 100sqm+ scale. I know this is likely to be far more expensive than steel.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
2 years 2 months ago #556912 by max2

Hi, we just bought a bare land in Rodney Auckland and looking at to build 400m2 shed on it to start with then a house next year
With many shed companies out there not sure which one to use.
Was wondering, which shed company did author end up using or if you have any recommendation.
Thank you

Whoever you deal with, find out where they are sourcing their metal sheeting materials from and ensure it's in writing!.

What has happened in the industry is that the Chinese sheeting (they don't do the roll form ridge capping or stuff like that) product being brought in has been subjected to a tariff to bring it into line with the NZ manufacturing market and pricing. Yay!

There are a number of popular NZ hardware chains that have been selling a combined shed/barn package but sourced their product from the overseas market. Now the tariffs have been applied, they are on a waitlist with homegrown suppliers for materials and they are not telling their customers the full extent of why they are still waiting for their barns and sheds to be completed.

The businesses previously using the homegrown product are fine to source materials, and are on a pre-order system, although with some less popular colour lines being immediately available. Albeit there are small amounts in various parts to continue for sheds and the like.

Personally, my suggestions are: 1. find out where the metal materials are being sourced from, 2. Find out and have in writing, what fall protection systems are in place for workers on your property.

If they are sourcing products from NZ Steel, insist on obtaining the warranty. It's an official document that once applied for by the supplier, can be emailed and then followed up in a professional folder with care instructions. Might take a couple of weeks, but it's available.

More
2 years 2 months ago #556913 by max2
Oh and another thing. We had a client with a particular colour shed that was purchased through one of the NZ shed/barn suppliers using the same paint name as NZ Steel and they wanted their roofing to match.

Same colour name, but not the NZ Steel colour and it's really noticeable.

Please keep that in mind.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #556914 by Alan Gilbert

Oh and another thing. We had a client with a particular colour shed that was purchased through one of the NZ shed/barn suppliers using the same paint name as NZ Steel and they wanted their roofing to match.

Same colour name, but not the NZ Steel colour and it's really noticeable.

Please keep that in mind.

Someone mentioned the common colour known as Mist Green in an earlier post. Be aware that there are at least five different shades of Mist Green, and some suppliers don't recognise any of them in their data bases.

Also be aware that the level of service you get from any of the nation-wide companies like Totalspan, etc., depends entirely on who owns/runs the local franchise. While we have had excellent service from our local "branch", your mileage may vary. So don't automatically write off a particular company just because someone at the other end of the country got a bum steer from the nominally same outfit.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Alan Gilbert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds