Sick cow

More
2 years 11 months ago #555199 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Sick cow

That B12 in your link is a lot cheaper than what I got from the vet!!

That hideject was a pre-calving solution rather than addressing a B12 issue Dr Spock. Unless of course that is what the vet supplied you. If it wasn’t it’s quite possible it contains different measurements of ingredients.

I’m certainly keen to compare the cost of apples with apples though. !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #555234 by Dr Spock
Replied by Dr Spock on topic Sick cow
I can't believe it! - I get one through the worst of it (fingers crossed and touch wood still) and her calf decides to turn up his toes!!!:angry: Can't seem to get anything right!:(
Brought him in from the paddock yesterday morning looking sorry for himself, was standing in the ditch with water up to his ankles (maybe cooling off? though it was - 6 here then) He was looking quite bloated, but all over - not obviously on the left side. I got some antibiotics and antiflamm from the vet but by the time I got home from work to give them to him he was dying. I tried stabbing him but by then it was already too late and he was dead within a few minutes.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Dr Spock.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555242 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Sick cow
Spock, sometimes it seems that it never rains, it pours! And this is what is happening to you at the moment. I doubt that you could have done anything about it no matter how hard you tried. I have a theory about sick animals and water but that would be for another discussion. The main thing is, DO NOT beat yourself up about it. It took me 40 years to be able to step back from these situations, so while I do everything possible at the time, if it falls over I no longer blame myself for something I couldn't have altered anyway.

I am very sorry that this has come on top of the cow, but it would seem that Tweetie is still with you and improving?

Cheers,
Ronnie
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, Dr Spock

More
2 years 10 months ago #555243 by Dr Spock
To milk or not to milk?

Hi all. Here are some photos of Tweetie's udder. The first one is when she first got sick 26th May. It doesn't look like she was quite dried off. She was pretty skinny. The other three photos show the size of her udder yesterday. It was pretty cold out there hence the fog on the photos. She has some scars and hairless patches on her now from scratching from the lice and trying to get herself up when she was down. She is still progressing and managing to get herself up and down okay. Fingers crossed. She is still skinny. I am still giving her supplementary feeds. Should I milk her or leave her in the hopes she will eventually put her energy into putting weight on instead of making milk? I checked with the vet before I went away - he asked what the milk was like and after expressing some I reported that it looked good - not lumpy or watery. He thought she shouldn't need to be milked but he hasn't seen the size of her udder since the first photo.
Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #555244 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Sick cow
You can't complain about her production ability if she's making that much milk on the smell of an oily rag! In fact, given what she's been through, she's not looking too bad at all. :)

I was going to suggest that you leave her to dry off - until I saw the side photo's of her. My suggestion only, and what I would do, is leave the front quarters alone and take some but not all (maybe approximately half), from the back quarters. Hopefully, you will notice she is producing less and less milk over the next few weeks and can then make a decision to stop and let her dry off. My main concern would be her getting mastitis.

If she's going to persist in lactating, would it be possible to get a calf for her as an option? More about that if you feel you need to go down that road.

Good to see her up and about.

Cheers,
Ronnie
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
2 years 10 months ago #555245 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Sick cow
Do you vaccinate your calves against blackleg and other diseases?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 10 months ago #555247 by Dr Spock
They got two lots of vaccination from the vet tech guy. I think it might have been a 5n1. Would that cover those?

More
2 years 10 months ago #555248 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Sick cow
yes I think they cover leptospirosis, blackleg, tetanus and other major clostridial diseases in cattle and sheep/goats

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #555251 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Sick cow
One of the biggest killers I have had with outdoor calves is pneumonia.

To the eye, they look absolutely fine but I might notice they seem disinterested in getting up or keeping up with the herd to the cow shed for milking. Then I will bug them a bit to see what their movements and breathing are like, and if it appears to become an “effort”.

So two years ago, I started rugging my outdoor babies. I haven’t had an issue at all with mums rejecting them due to the coat (normally it’s the next morning so plenty of time for Mum and calf to bond and clean up) and I also haven’t had to treat any for pneumonia again.

To my mind, it’s a hidden cause once they have died. But I just wanted to put this experience out there in case it’s of help.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by max2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronney, Stikkibeek

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds