Sick cow

More
2 years 11 months ago #555015 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Sick cow
[quote="Dr Spock" post=554

She was lifted on Saturday morning and stayed up standing until Sunday evening - close to 36 hours. I'm pretty sure I would have known if she'd been down and managed to get herself up again as I had draped a tarp over her and would have expected it to have dislodged had she tried to get up. She looked quite stiff when she walked. This morning I was awakened by the moo that says she is lying on her side and can't get herself back up into a sitting position. As it was too early to call my neighbour, I struggled for some time and eventually (not without some damage to my own ribs) got her back up into a comfortable position and she proceeded to eat her silage like nothing had happened.

Fortunately I have been on leave from work for the last 3 weeks and this has made tending her easier.[/quote]

I reckon that is a good time to be standing too. Any potential hoof issues going on?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr Spock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #555099 by max2
Dr Spock, how are you both doing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronney

More
2 years 11 months ago #555103 by Dr Spock
Replied by Dr Spock on topic Sick cow
Hard to believe it's only been 5 weeks - feels like a lifetime!
Not much has changed though Tweetie (the cow) seems soooo close to getting herself up when she is being lifted. She's still eating and drinking well, still looks bright and alert and still stands for good lengths of time when she is up. The neighbour who has been helping me is, understandably, over it! so I'm not sure how much longer he'll help out. No one can understand why she can't get up when she obviously wants to. She still flops over onto her side from time to time and can't get herself up from there. I was hoping that by now she would either have been getting herself up or become depressed and making the decision for me.

More
2 years 11 months ago #555104 by Dr Spock
The goal posts keep moving.

More
2 years 11 months ago #555105 by Dr Spock
OMG!!! I just went out to check her before bedtime and give her another feed and if necessary lift her. She was down happily chewing her cud and while I was fluffing around topping up her feed and getting the tractor out......she got up! All by herself!!!
I hope I haven't jinxed it by celebrating but - Hooray!!!

A couple of things I have noticed recently is that her cud has been quite foamy. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Any thoughts on that? Maybe from her feed? She's been getting a mixture of multi nuts, lucerne chaff and that package lucerne for horses, meadow baleage and a horse muesli.

She's just started to lose some of her hair and her face hair looks mottled. She has been covered with a horse blanket for the last couple of weeks and it has been causing a bit of chaffing but the hair loss seems a bit odd.

More
2 years 11 months ago #555106 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Sick cow
Yippeeeeeeeee!

Not sure about your other observations. Keep noting everything. Marvellous that she's up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, Dr Spock

More
2 years 11 months ago #555107 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Sick cow
I'm with Ruth, this is great news :silly: :)

Web Goddess

More
2 years 11 months ago #555108 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Sick cow
I certainly know the feeling of jinxing something by getting over-excited about it, but hey, she did it on her own and that has to be progress. Just don't be disappointed if she doesn't do it in the morning, it could well take a few days for it to become the norm. And if she does continue to do it, I give you permission to ball your eyes out.

As Ruth said, keep note of what you might consider to be unusual. I don't know about the hair loss but could be lice? The foamy cud might be the result of the high protein food your feeding her. However, it doesn't seem to be detrimental to her so just keep an eye on it.

Fingers crossed that this continues to go well - you, not to mention you're long suffering neighbour, have put a lot of time and care into this girl.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
2 years 11 months ago #555110 by max2
Hair loss can be a reaction to the medication in my experience with one.

Awesome update !

More
2 years 11 months ago #555111 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Sick cow
That's fantastic news!

More
2 years 11 months ago #555112 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Sick cow
Urgently check that the ingredients in the food that has been made for horses that you are using is safe for cattle. Often, mixes made for a specific species is not optimal for other species, and sometimes it can be quite poisonous.
The hair loss is an indication that she has been sick. When animals are sick, one of the first things to happen is the hair or wool stops growing, so there is a break in the fibre.
The foamy cud suggests that the bugs in the rumen haven't got used to the amount of molasses she is now eating, especially if she has also got the runs. Don't give her more until that has reduced.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #555114 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Sick cow
I had a Jersey cow once that got very sick with mastitis and after she recovered lost most of her hair. Calves that recover from rotavirus lose hair also. It grows back fine, they just need a cover for warmth.

Edit to add: there's no better feeling than when your down cow gets up by herself. Hopefully onward and upward from here!
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Jaybee.

More
2 years 11 months ago #555119 by max2
Jerseys are terrible for sulking too. I wonder if Tweetie has been sneaking a stand up here and there without you knowing...?

That would fit the form...

However I'm feeling excited for you Dr Spock. x

More
2 years 11 months ago #555120 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Sick cow
Good call LR and Jaybee - and I should know this from experience, particularly with sheep. They can completely shed their wool from the point of growth it was at when they got sick. Cows will too, as do humans. Hooves and fingernails are another good sign of illness.

Max, you're right. Of all the breeds and cross breds I've had over the years, the Jersey is the prima donna of cattle - and also the most intelligent.

Spock, hope today has been positive :)

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #555121 by Dr Spock
So this morning she was down and didn't seem to be able to get up. We rolled her over to her other side instead of lifting her and she managed to get up! I'm guessing that one side is weaker than the other.

I've checked the bags of feed and they don't say not to feed to other animals even though they are specific horse feeds. The staff at Farmlands suggested them and seemed to think they would be okay for a cow. I'll check with the manufacturer tomorrow.

I have wondered myself if she has been ''playing" me. She's certainly loving the extra attention and special feed.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Dr Spock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds