More garden woes

More
4 years 3 months ago #548940 by kate
More garden woes was created by kate
What on earth is happening to my garlic and what can I do about it?

Web Goddess
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #548944 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic More garden woes
looks like a fungal disease, garlic is prone to rust in wet weather. Copper sprays are used. Are you sure it's not black aphids?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by tonybaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

More
4 years 3 months ago #548946 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic More garden woes
That either looks like black aphids or sooty mould caused by ants "milking" aphids for their honey dew. Black aphids
If you prefer not to use insecticides, then put some soapy water in a spray bottle and give a good spray. leave on about 10 mins and hose off. repeat if they return although i have never had them do so.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 3 months ago #548954 by kate
Replied by kate on topic More garden woes
Thank you both, I think it is aphids....there were none to be seen a couple of days ago and now my whole garlic crop is absolutely covered in them :ohmy: :ohmy:

I've just sprayed with soapy water and will repeat until I've got rid of them....

Web Goddess

More
4 years 3 months ago #548955 by muri
Replied by muri on topic More garden woes
Rust makes the garlic go orange, rust coloured,
All my garlic, including elephant garlic has got rust this year so it nice to see such healthy plants.
Neem oil or eco oil is also good, but never spray in high sunlight or it burns the plants.
I would give them a seaweed spray to strengthen the plants.
I use ant sand around plants to take out the ants, who are milking the aphids

More
4 years 3 months ago #549012 by Kokamo
Replied by Kokamo on topic More garden woes
If they're anything like the black aphids I get on my chives every single summer, they come back over & over & they just destroy the plants. Strangely I get them every year, yet my neighbour who's a very serious gardener never gets them. But I'll try the soapy water thing.

More
4 years 3 months ago #549025 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic More garden woes
It does seem to work, but expect to do several repeats...

More
4 years 3 months ago #549049 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic More garden woes
I have been alternating squashing and soaping aphids on my pepper plants, but they multiply despite this. I just watched hundreds determinedly march back up a soapy stem. I squashed those I could.
I am going to try getting some of the predators from Bioforce that someone posted a link to on here. Has anyone tried them?

More
4 years 2 months ago #549465 by Lindseyjane
Replied by Lindseyjane on topic More garden woes
I tried the predators on my garden - they dealt ok with some of what was there but I think I needed masses more to do a total job, and that gets expensive. The broad beans are now covered on the ends, soapy water helped a little but it is a constant struggle. They first appeared a few years ago on my garlic chives and I kept hosing them off with a strong blast , and that worked quite well but some of the softer plants won't handle that

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds