Register

Topic-icon not really a new topic - Red Mite - again

• Thank you received: 0
3 weeks 3 days ago #545886 by ibis

Discovered the signs of Red Mite on returning from holiday. House was treated about 4 months ago.
Last night I removed hens and today I cleaned, Flea Bombed which didn't work ( have been successful with this in the past), sprayed with Miss Muffitt's Revenge which also still left creatures waving at me and then fly sprayed gaps and cracks. This evening there are still mites moving about. Any suggestions as to what to do next? The hens are sleeping in the garage again tonight.
Have never had such a problem in 20 odd years of breeding chooks. The house is only 3 years old and I only have 3 hens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 441
3 weeks 3 days ago #545889 by Stikkibeek

I've had an influx of black mites and lice this summer and lost a few chooks to severe anemia due to it and before i found out what it was. I treated individual hens with a bird powder which i got from a pet shop a few years ago and that worked, but It might have been based on pestene as it smelled like it, but you can't get that anymore
Maybe worth inquiring at vets as to what's about.You can also spray with ripcord which will get rid of spiders and flies for a while too. If you use it, be sure to follow instructions.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Stikkibeek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ibis

• Thank you received: 166
3 weeks 3 days ago #545907 by tonybaker

I used Smite from Farmlands. I removed chooks for a couple of weeks and sprayed at weekly intervals. Then dipped chooks legs in diesel. Seems to have worked.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

3 weeks 3 days ago #545908 by ibis

Thanks. Everyone locally seems to be out of stock of Smite at present so have gone with Ripcord. Will change to Smite when it is back in stock - rather use something non toxic. Hens have alternative housing until problem sorted.

• Thank you received: 206
3 weeks 2 days ago #545922 by Sue

Smite is really only Diatomaceous earth (DE) and is available in a number of places both on line and places like Anumates- if that is what you want to use- just get DE- I think Farmalnds stock it look up DENZ.

However it is more useful for criiters like Lice and fleas which live on the birds than for Red Mite which lives in the nooks and crannies of the sleeping quarters and places where you can't reach with a powder. Beware of dusting not to breathe the dust in yourself, and never dust a hen when she is brooding chicks.

The life cycle of the mite is 7 to 10 days from egg to laying mite, so if you treat today you will have breeding mites again within 2 weeks.
You really need a 2 (or 3) pronged attack for mites.
Clean and treat the house and everywhere the birds roost and lay,
Treat the birds themselves for whichever mite you have,
Treat gain 2 weeks later and regularly through the hotter months.

An insecticide which kills mites like Ripcord or Miss Muffets Revenge, which has some residual properties is much better than something like DE or Smite- which relies on the powder coming into contact with the body of the crawling mite and damaging the case enough to cause it to die through dehydration. This does nothing for mites and eggs hiding in cracks during the day or for scaly leg mite which burrow under the scales of the legs.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Sue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spoook

• Thank you received: 61
3 weeks 2 days ago #545925 by tonic

Smite also make a liquid product called smite professional. It is supposed to kill bacteria and viruses along with mites in the coop and dissolve droppings to make it easier to clean.

3 weeks 1 day ago #545929 by tonybaker

yes, that's the one, seemed to work for me. I noticed that some chooks are more resistant to mites. Maybe it's time breeders took note of this.
Currently trying to get my flock used to a grandpa feeder, they like to sit on the lid and poop all over it. Any suggestions?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 9
3 weeks 1 day ago #545930 by Nora

• Re grandpa feeder. It has a couple of holes in the side to put a bolt or similar in, to hold the lid open at different heights until they are used to it. Or just put a brick on the step at first.

I stopped using my grandpa feeder for birds because I lost so many chicks by being whacked on neck by lid. Others died being squashed under the step. And so many dead sparrows -one or two a day at times. Now I have given it to my adult rabbits instead -the rabbits used it within five minutes of it being in their enclosure, and no learning process involved. The chickens have a similar feeder but with a much smaller action so no chance of anyone getting squashed.

Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Nora.

• Thank you received: 206
    3 weeks 1 day ago #545931 by Sue

tonic, it would be interesting to know what active ingredient is in the 'disinfectant' part. It doesn't seem to mention it on any of the ads I can see. Nevr mind a safety data sheet!

In most cases disinfectants, especially Quats., are quickly inactivated when in contact with organic matter- like chicken poo- so most recommendations to clean something is to wash it first, preferably with a de greaser/detergent and then cover the cleaned surface with a disinfectant to kill the bacteria and in some cases virus and fungi as well, and an insecticide to kill the insects. Trying to do the whole job in one go probably means it could be a waste of time or a waste of money as there isn't enough product, or surface residual time to do as much good as it could!

However I rest my case, some folks must find it works!

Sue
    Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

1 week 5 days ago #546057 by ibis

Emptied house, dismantled everything we could even, took the roof off. Chooks have had Ivomec and living in another house.
    Original house has been cleaned and sprayed 3 times at 5 day intervals with Ripcord using a back pack sprayer. Joints have been heated with a heat gun - only a few scorch marks :)
    Checked tonight and there are still live mites in roof framing:(
    Where to next? Paint, creosote roof timber. When dry will puff some sulphur in cracks. Not happy about diatomaceous earth as it is silica and neither I nor more partner need anymore of that in our lungs.
    Doesn't seem to be much residual effect from the Ripcord.
    Have had to dump 25kg feed as it was crawling with mites - looked pretty much like Redmite. Wondering if the mites came in the feed as we bought 2 bags of Westons? feed from local poultry breeder/supplier.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Can't believe that with 3 hens we have this much problem when for the past 20yrs with 30 odd poultry we only once had a small red mite problem. Maybe the climate is just that much warmer than our previous farm 2 hours south.

1 week 5 days ago #546058 by tonybaker

what about one of those bug bombs?

1 week 5 days ago #546059 by ibis

Tried that first.

• Thank you received: 441
    1 week 5 days ago #546060 by Stikkibeek

It's unlikely to be red mites unless your chooks are helping themselves from the bag. Mostly likely one of many types of pantry mite and best way to deal with them is to put in small lots (about what you'd normally feed each day,) seal the bag you put them in and stick in the deep freeze for a day or two. I wouldn't recommend this for your own foodstuffs, but for the chooks, it's perfectly ok and all you might lose is a little of the quality.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
    Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.