Register

Topic-icon Tank Vac Installation

• Thank you received: 133
4 weeks 2 days ago #545761 by Hawkspur

We have finally got around to installing ours but lost the instruction sheet.
Does anyone have one lying around or know all the vital steps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 413
4 weeks 2 days ago #545763 by LongRidge

Put the job off until you have emailed TankVac and asked them to forward the instructions :-).

• Thank you received: 166
4 weeks 2 days ago #545764 by tonybaker

It's best not to draw from the bottom of the tank, use a floating inlet hose
www.nzfilterwarehouse.com/category/79526

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last Edit: 4 weeks 11 hours ago by tonybaker.

4 weeks 1 day ago #545769 by Hawkspur

We have emailed them but not heard back yet.

• Thank you received: 27
3 weeks 6 days ago #545815 by WillNZ

tonybaker wrote:

It's best not to draw from the bottom of the tank, use a floating inlet hose
www.nzfilterwarehouse.com/category/79526

The tank vac is installed on the overflow, not the intake to the house supply. It only works when the tank is full and overflows, so it sucks the water from the base of the tank and theoretically cleans it with the vacuum effect.

My experience with it is it is not worth the effort as it only roughly cleans close to the pipe and only works when the tank is overflowing. Most of my tank never got cleaned even in heavy downpours when the tank really overflowed. Much better to install a first flush type system and put a filter sock on the inlet pipe to catch anything that gets past the first flush. .

I use a 10m length of the sock that goes over a draincoil pipe [you can buy it from Rural Direct and other hardware stores], clamped to the inlet pipe as a filter sock and secured it with a large hose clamp and tied a single knot in the other end. Was quite surprised how much stuff it trapped despite the first flush. Just undo the hose clamp, pull out the sock, turn it inside out and wash with a hose. I only pull it out when I feel it is heavyish so not a great deal of effort needed to keep it empty.

Last Edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by WillNZ.

3 weeks 6 days ago #545832 by tonybaker

Yes I know how the tank vac works, but you are better off not bothering with one and having a floating outlet instead.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

3 weeks 6 days ago #545835 by Hawkspur

Thanks all. I have now heard back from them.

Tony, I will have first flush, tank vac, floating inlet and a leaf screen - they all do different things, and it doesn't hurt to have them.

Last Edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by Hawkspur.

3 weeks 5 days ago #545857 by tonybaker

that sounds great, and filters on the outlet? 30 and 1 micron are the norm.

3 weeks 3 days ago #545910 by Hawkspur

I will have filters - still working out which ones. Looking for cheap to replace and effective.

I also am looking into UV treatment. Not the fluorescent ones, because they need to be on all the time and hence lead to unreasonable power usage for off grid for power, but there are now LED ones, that only turn on when water flows which look good at initial glance.

Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Hawkspur.

3 weeks 2 days ago #545914 by tonybaker

I use the larger filters, available on TradeMe. They are easy to install and the cartridges last a long time providing your water is reasonably clear. a 1-micron filter will remove most bacteria and cysts so I have a 20 micron then a 1 micron filter. I doubt you will need any further UV sterilizing system unless you have very young or old people living in the house.?
look to be a good buy. You will need a 25mm connector to join them together, and 2 X 25mm male alkathene adaptors. Just fit them where the water enters the house as you don't need to filter garden water.

1 week 5 days ago #546061 by Hawkspur

A further question:

diverting the Tank Vac overflow away from the tank, and keeping mozzies and rats etc out:
how have others done this?

1 week 5 days ago #546062 by WillNZ

Put a U trap on the output.

1 week 4 days ago #546094 by Hawkspur

Hmm U traps are not known for stopping rats.

1 week 4 days ago #546101 by WillNZ

I have a piece of fine weldmesh over my outlet, about 10mm square spacing. It is attached with a couple of tabs/self tappers. I have a sock on my inlet after my first flush to catch any leaves/other debris that gets past the first flush (and some will) so no debris of any size that could block the outlet mesh gets into my tanks. But the mesh is removable anyway if something did happen to get past everything and out of the overflow. The U-trap is specifically there to stop mozzies etc from flying up the pipe.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.