Register

Topic-icon Trade me assault rifle sales

• Thank you received: 49
1 month 5 days ago #545625 by spark

I'm still in shock over the events last Friday.
I am disappointed that in the time when we should "come together" to grieve, and support the bereaved, that we are already dividing into groups of "us and them".

I think it was Friday night that the PM said "we will change the gun laws", then I heard on Saturday morning that the gunshops that were open were busier than usual (alleged panic-buying). Then on Sunday I hear calls being made to immediately ban the sale of semiautomatic firearms. We don't have all the facts yet, they haven't held a trial for the accused, they haven't even buried the dead yet, and we are already dividing into groups to fight politics :(

With reference to:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Help/RestrictedItems.aspx#firearms

and of course the Arms Act, Trademe does NOT sell "assault rifles", also known as "Military Style SemiAutomatics" - those require an E-endorsement on one's firearms licence (and have been banned from sale on Trademe for many years).

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 79
1 month 5 days ago #545631 by Mudlerk

Horray!!! Trade me has banned trading in semiautomatic rifles.

Last Edit: 1 month 5 days ago by Mudlerk.

• Thank you received: 49
1 month 5 days ago #545633 by spark

Turns out they have, but they have not yet updated their terms and conditions (previous link):
https://www.trademe.co.nz/community/announcements/post/1730/halting-the-sale-of-semi-automatic-weapons

• Thank you received: 23
1 month 4 days ago #545639 by stentor

Hi all

I'm an owner of several semiautomatic rifles
I have all of the endorsements B,C,E which is pistol, collector (yes machineguns) and MSSA's

That white power dickhead can die in a fire, I will not repeat his name. Abdul Aziz is a goddam hero

Our firearms legislation has been running on a she'll be right attitude for rather a long time and there are many things that could be sensibly changed but remember that we have this artificial distinction between A-cat and E cat rifles because of a kneejerk reaction to Aramoana (which the police were warned about)

The only real difference between an E-cat (lots of supervision) and an A-cat (sod-all supervision) is really putting in a bigger magazine* this takes approx 4 seconds,
The stupid thing is that you could buy a bigger magazine without having to show that you are an E-cat owner which is bollocks

Also to cater for overseas hunters coming here the firearm license rules for visitors was too lax which seems to be how Mr Shithead in Dunedin got his license

We have suffered a terrorist attack

This spankcarrot has taken advantage of some loopholes in our laws to shoot innocent people and that is despicable
Part of the whole "This is not what NZ is about" ethos is that we as shooters are not terrorists

I'm not going to waste anyone's time on NRA talking points and "Do you need semiautos" etc - what is wrong with the "Lets ban all semi-autos" movement is that it is too simple a solution and it won't ultimately fix the problem

Sorry to be boring but a better piece of law will take time and consideration rather than a simple yay we have banned all semiautos the dragon has been defeated

Also what do we pay taxes to have a GCSB for? This spazhead put his plans up on 8 Chan two days before the attack
What was the SIS doing? Eating their pies and reading Penthouse? **

On a less contentious note, I am starting to build quail shelters and have found several good ideas in that direction

*plus freestanding pistol grip plus bayonet lugs plus flash suppressor none of which really matter
**This will only be understood by people over 40
teara.govt.nz/en/intelligence-services/page-2

The following user(s) said Thank You: igor, lindaw

• Thank you received: 63
1 month 4 days ago #545640 by Anakei

Stentor you make some good points, but I am yet to be convinced that ANY civilian needs to have a semi automatic weapon. I watch "Hunting Aotearoa" and the hunters there are obviously enjoying the hunt and the meat and I wouldn't want to take that away. None of them have used a semi automatic.

You also say
quote "I'm not going to waste anyone's time on NRA talking points and "Do you need semiautos" etc - what is wrong with the "Lets ban all semi-autos" movement is that it is too simple a solution and it won't ultimately fix the problem "end quote

It may not fix the problem but it would be a good start.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Thank you received: 20
1 month 4 days ago #545655 by Blueberry

I happen to be of the opinion that no semi-automatic weapons in private hands IN THE WHOLE OF AOTEAROA would solve quite a few problems.
You sports people can be as responsible as you can possibly be, you have no control over some scumbag ransacking your house and absconding with your priced weapons collection. Your semi-automatic weapon is unlikely to disintegrate if touched by illegal hands, so, voila, you have a semi automatic weapon in the hands of a sh*thead.

And just to be sure: i do include all paraphernalia changing a 'normal' weapon into a semi in this.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth
Last Edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Blueberry.

1 month 3 days ago #545667 by stentor

Oh sure, I can still hunt with a bolt gun no problem

Semis are useful for a quick follow-up shot to dispatch the animal humanely or when you happen across a whole mob of goats

I'm very well aware that the tide is turned and that is democracy

What I would point out is that the govt will be hard put to buy them all back and a ban will drive a lot of them underground

The following user(s) said Thank You: igor

1 month 3 days ago #545673 by Blueberry

If declared illegal, there is no need to buy them back - you either hand them in or face confiscation and a fine.

As for driving them underground; far too many of them already are, and those who'd rather sell them to a conscience-less sh*thead than doing the right thing - well, that would just prove they are of the same ilk, would it not?

As for a hunters need to 'dispatch an animal humanly" - lets not go there.

[;)] Blueberry

• Thank you received: 5
1 month 3 days ago #545685 by Arko

The Buy back is done for reasons of fairness.
And consideration for those sustaining losses.

If the govt takes your land under the public works act, you get some compensation also.

Last Edit: 1 month 3 days ago by Arko.

• Thank you received: 86
1 month 3 days ago #545688 by max2

I agree with Spark, it's a time to come together, not to divide...

Some of the language and behaviour used on social media against people who wish to retain the right to keep their firearm is atrocious.

I would also like to (legally) read the manifesto the gunman wrote, I don't think it should be censured. I might not get far into it as it might be complete bollocks, but then so are many political autobiographies.

I don't think S.KY should censure the Aussie news channel because of the coverage, plenty of other stations still screening have done so. However, I agree we do not need our children to see unedited clear versions of the shooting and this was clearly occurring on students bring your own devices during school hours on the day... where were the schools' internet filter systems on the day?

The following user(s) said Thank You: spark

1 month 2 days ago #545693 by stentor

I have legally purchased thousands of dollars worth of equipment and if the government want to take it off me then I will be seeking compensation

I think that is fair

The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, Kilmoon, Mudlerk

1 month 2 days ago #545697 by Mudlerk

Why should something unsuitable for children be suitable for adult viewing? I think we underestimate the mental malleability of grownups.

We've just had a British couple, who had spent 30 of their ADULT years in South Africa, decide against buying our place, on the grounds that they felt it "too dangerous living this far out of town" [15 minutes from Palmerston North].

If we heard the expression "Christianic terrorists" on the news three times a day, we'd probably have people burning crosses!

Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by Mudlerk.

• Thank you received: 5
1 month 2 days ago #545698 by Arko

For those don't know.
There's two main types of Rifles, They use different amunition
Centre fire, used for large game and the military
And rimfire, used for small game pest control.

The largest number of simi auto rifles in NZ would be rimfire.
Of the terrorist attack I remember , and US shootings, none used rimfire rifles. Or if they did , only as last choice. There not used as assault rifles. As they lack power and range for military use.

Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by Arko.

1 month 2 days ago #545707 by Mudlerk

For those who think we're all ignorant. A bolt action is not the only type of non-automatic gun, either. It Doesn't take long to recock a firing pin for a second shot with a pump or lever, either, so there's really very, very little need for a self-cocking gun.

Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by Mudlerk.

1 month 2 days ago #545709 by Blueberry

Mudlerk wrote: We've just had a British couple, who had spent 30 of their ADULT years in South Africa, decide against buying our place, on the grounds that they felt it "too dangerous living this far out of town" [15 minutes from Palmerston North].

If we heard the expression "Christianic terrorists" on the news three times a day, we'd probably have people burning crosses!

Re your prospective buyers; i'm guessing their previous experiences are exactly the reason they want to be closer to town services, e.g. police, firefighters and hospitals

And, honestly, Mudlerk, whether they be 'christianic' islamic or supremaci-diotic, any form of extremism is to be rejected.(where is the 'aversion therapy' when you need it?) .

What kind of person fires a gun - any gun - into an assembly of unarmed people?

[;)] Blueberry
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.