Register

Topic-icon Goats and mud...............

• spoook
  • spoook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Goatherder
  • Thank you received: 36
2 months 17 hours ago #545203 by spoook

At the moment the goats, who as a breed are scared of water, are walking out in the dam, yes walking as it is so silted up, to eat the water lilies. Those that do that, do not seem to have any foot problems, must be something in the silt.
Only problem is, the silly buggers can get stuck, as one did yesterday. L found him last night just as we were about to have dinner even though we had been working all day not far from where he was, we did not hear him.:(
Up to his gunwales in mud/silt, could not get out, struggling had gotten him deeper and just able to hold his head up to breathe. L had to lean in to pull him out, not an easy task I hear, and we hosed him off in the shed only to find his back had been used as a laying platform by the flies. He was covered. :( As I hosed, the eggs were spreading all over him. After drying, as best we could, with towels he was liberally sprayed with Maggo, dressed in a warm coats, laid on a foam mat bed with a heat pad, YES, a heat pad :P , and again covered with warm blankets.
Did not want to eat but did drink some water, Ketol and Vigest. Still alive this morning and having Ketol and Vigest administered frequently. Am just off to try to get him to stand. Fingers crossed.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 412
2 months 16 hours ago #545205 by LongRidge

If you have any antibiotic (we use IntraCillin at 1 ml per 10 kg), I would be giving a shot to reduce the risk of him getting an infection.
We are finding with our goats, and donkeys, that with the ground being so dry their soles are very hard and are more prone to bruising. So I suspect that a tiny bit of moisture for a few minutes per day might be beneficial. I hope that your water lilies do not have snails on them that have liver fluke in them. That would be very sad :-{.

• spoook
  • Goatherder
2 months 15 hours ago #545213 by spoook

I will getting my partner to inject the IntraCillin when he get in, hopefully soon. Bugger, forgot about snails and fluke. Will make sure we have a drench with fenbendazole.

• spoook
  • Goatherder
1 month 4 weeks ago #545233 by spoook

Bugger, he did not make it. :( Needless to say, we will be checking the liver.

• Thank you received: 208
1 month 4 weeks ago #545235 by kate

Sorry to hear that...:(

Web Goddess

• Thank you received: 198
1 month 4 weeks ago #545244 by muri

sorry Spook to hear that.
The drought is definitely pushing the boundaries, my sheep also seem more interested in the lesser accessible plants that look greener from their side of the fence too

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.