Log in

Register



Topic-icon Lime/Fert Opinion

  • Posts: 5199
  • Thank you received: 117
3 months 1 day ago #545042 by Ronney

I badly need to get both lime and fert on the farm. First the bridge needed repaired, that was done, and then the spreader was busy, then we got the big dry. Now it looks as though we may get rain towards the end of the week.

The farm is a balance of flat land going to medium/steep hill. Given how dry the hills are, I'm a bit dubious about putting anything on the hills until after it rains. If the rain were to get heavy before it had a chance to wash in, the chances are it would end up on the flats or in the river - at least that's how I see it.

Any opinions on what you might do?

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 9290
  • Thank you received: 312
3 months 1 day ago #545044 by Ruth

It'll end up on the flats which will be the river, if we get a lot of the wet of the cyclone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1788
  • Thank you received: 60
3 months 1 day ago #545045 by Kilmoon

I agree, I'd probably wait until after this rainfall event to spread on the hills at least - that cyclone is still to far out to indicate where it will 'hit' and how much rain we could expect from it. You could look at the positive, this rain should help soften the ground up so that any lime/fert you do put on has a greater chance of soaking in.

Last Edit: 3 months 1 day ago by Kilmoon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 14282
  • Thank you received: 419
3 months 1 day ago #545059 by LongRidge

A contractor will not want to put it on after the rain unless the soil dries well. With 25 mm of rain the fertiliser will stay in place, unless it happens over a couple of hours.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 5199
  • Thank you received: 117
3 months 1 day ago #545089 by Ronney

Ruth wrote: It'll end up on the flats which will be the river, if we get a lot of the wet of the cyclone!


Don't worry, that thought had crossed my mind also!
As there are question marks over the weather in the upcoming days I have decided to defer the application - yet again. I don't have any real desire to fertilise the farmer 10kms downstream, or even the ocean and that could well happen. However, thank you for the input, you confirmed what I felt.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds
Go to top

Sign up for my monthly newsletter!

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.