Register

Topic-icon 8 week old lamb with bloat

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 3 days ago #545093 by Si

Thank you kilmoon
I knew it would not be easy but at least im thankful of the odd good day without problems. Wish i spent more time at home than vets lol. This evening all well but feeding in half an hour so 2 hours of on off massaging. My life now is worrying about lambs weight and tummy constantly and have an unheathy obsession with sheep pooh lol hope they do pull through as flipping cute but not photogenic!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 60
2 months 3 days ago #545096 by Kilmoon

have an unheathy obsession with sheep pooh lol

LOL, that is par for the course on this forum! We all tend to wander around looking at poos and then there can be a tendency to post about said poos for others to learn from (pics are a must!).....makes for great discussions. That and wounds (in all their oozy glory).

Are they allowed to nibble at any hay or grass? Or did the vet want them off completely? I'd almost be wanting them to nibble (at least) at hay to keep their guts working on solids, build up the good gut bacteria again, and try and get them through. Just keep your chin up, here on the other side of the world we are all rooting for you to pull them through.

2 months 3 days ago #545097 by Si

Thank you so much. This forum has been amazing with all your help and advice. Warning big girls blouse bit! Heart warming for your wishes to Henri and buxton, now back to pooh...... will happily post pics of pooh tomorrow. Yesterday no hay, deer pellets, oats or grass but didnt pay attention to hay. today only hay but iv let them have hay as they want with a little grass while walking around (not let them stand still for more than a few seconds) with a couple of teaspoons of oats and deer pellets. Henris tummy has gone bigger (as normal now after any liquid other than pure water) but squidgy (not solid), plus poohing so with massaging not worried as active and munching hay. Also keeps nipping into kitchen to put hooves on table so normal Henri. They will settle down to bed in an hour, so i can sneak off to bed by 12 :-) Yep still got to sneak out leaving telly on timer switch so they dont bleat the house down when i go to propper bed upstairs not dog/lamb/pee/pooh bed downstairs. oh by the way in a month or so selling a slightly used bed know any buyers!!!!!!

2 months 3 days ago #545098 by Kilmoon

Ahh, the sneaking off to bed routine....I know that well from a certain couch sleeper. In the end, when we realised that she could projectile baa from the lounge to the bedroom, we shifted her large dog crate bed to the bedroom as well.....we got to sleep though the night. But if either of us woke up, or rolled over, or moved at all then all bets were off and as far as Stormy was concerned it was playtime, or midnight snack time, or just Stormy-time, or just want-to-be-with-mum time.

2 months 3 days ago #545099 by Si

They are fine now they have open crate with run and sleep through to 6. I let them bounce for a while, then pre milk meds, small walk little lamb nap then milk. When they where in just crate they would only settle for a couple of hours even when i was sleeping haha next to them.

Attachments:

2 months 3 days ago #545100 by Si

by the way the pic is my lounge now!!!! One day i will have sofa and coffee table without hay loos and tarp. One day Mmmmmm

2 months 2 days ago #545117 by Si

Wondering about early weaning buxton 48days and on 550ml ÷3 and 6k 2 at birth. Henri 58days only on 300 ÷3 now 9k also 2 at birth, (was on 1000ml at 47days and had started reducing to 750ml by 50 days) on 300ML because of bloat. both when allowed eating well on hay, grass. buxton not eating much deer pellets but Henri loves them.

2 months 2 days ago #545118 by Kilmoon

I usually wean at 4mths old.....but with bloat issues it might be wise to start reducing milk towards weaning now. Maybe ask the vet re what the best process would be for Henri, whether to keep up with three feeds of a slowly reducing amount or drop one feed altogether (lunch maybe?) and slowly reduce the volume of the other two feeds. They would then be needing to increase their grazing each day to compensate.

2 months 2 days ago #545119 by Si

not too confident in vets views. Definatly wont go down to 2 feeds as 3 x 100/125ml he is blowing out and massaging lots. but was thinking to try and increase to what it should be or leave him on this amount now. Last feed only 75ml So i can get his tummy down a little before night. His body condition (apart from bloat) is fine not looking skinny round bum and full of beans. buxton was just starting decreasing but takes 45mins to get 200ml down him. He crys to go outside and Henri crys for milk. buxton is very small but not skinny and is now a head butting match for 10day older plus 3k heavier Henri.

2 months 2 days ago #545120 by Kilmoon

Use your judgement, as you'll know how much he drinks before bloating. Out of interest, how quick does he drink his milk down? Maybe deliberately slowing him down might help. What I did with one lamb, who was a real guzzler, was that I had the same amount but she had to wait between sips. So instead of her guzzling her milk in a really short time, I'd take the bottle away for a few minutes (it became cuddle time to distract her) and then offer her bottle back.....all to try and slow her rate of intake from "lets guzzle it in a minute" to "guzzle for a 15 seconds....then pause for a minute....then drink....then pause...etc". She complained at first (trying to climb me to get her bottle) but she slowly accepted that I just wouldn't let her guzzle it down at speed.

2 months 2 days ago #545122 by Si

when he was on larger amounts i was doing that but on 75-125ml im stopping half way. Cant make hole smaller as nothing would come out. Lke i said even 15-30ml of linseed water you can see a difference. Today I let them both glaze a little rather than constantly moving so tonights feed in an hour will be intersting also what he is like in morning. My gut says keep him on 2 × 100ml and one 75ml each day letting him graze a few mins more each day also slowly increasing deer pellets. Just monitor his appearance and personality. His first bloat was at 14 days when he was not drinking by himself. The vets i was using then said he was fine and sent me away, next morning he vomited so found new vet (the one im usung now) but not much dealing with lambs mainly deer and cows!

2 months 2 days ago #545126 by Kilmoon

Seems like you're doing everything you can and slow changes are always best when it comes to milk volume. Of interest, how is he after the 75ml feed? Is he the same after the 100ml feeds or does he seem less bloaty?

2 months 2 days ago #545129 by Si

the same!

2 months 2 days ago #545130 by Si

only difference is time it takes to massage down to a size im comfy leaving him for the night.

2 months 2 days ago #545131 by Si

Henri after 75ml but in real life not pic looks bigger

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.