Register

Topic-icon Sheep Handler

• Thank you received: 0
1 month 6 days ago #545025 by AGPS

Looking to purchase a Sheep Handler - A manual operated roll over type
Does anyone have one for sale or know of someone that does?
Most new types that I have viewed are really out of reach dollar wise and overkill for my flock size.
Age is catching up with me so I'm just looking to ease the strain a bit when attending to the routine sheep management chores.
I'm based in South Waikato and willing to travel within reason.

Thanks in advance, :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 21 hours ago #545220 by barabrae

Age happens to us all.
King Cattle Equipment in Ashhurst near Palmy 06- 3268496 make one but not currently on their web , have viewed at the Central Districts Fielddays and looks perfect for the smallholder, from memory I think they were around $600.

• Thank you received: 191
3 weeks 6 days ago #545245 by muri

I had one but didnt really use it much as it was very heavy and you had to have a set up to run the sheep into it , through a race or similar.
I get someone in to do feet a couple of times a year, cheaper than buying a handler and if its just one with a problem, I do it like a horse, standing up and life one foot at a time.
I am also breeding down so i have smaller sheep and more manageable

• Thank you received: 77
3 weeks 4 days ago #545303 by Mudlerk

I agree, Muri. For those of us who don't need to rid ourselves of excessive wealth, my motto is "Never use horsepower when you can use people power." Hiring someone to turn sheep over once a week would probably be more economical than purchasing a sheep handler for a lifestyle block, I would think...and helps give someone local a living.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AGPS

3 weeks 3 days ago #545314 by AGPS

One real benefit of this forum is the free exchange of ideas.

Securing a Sheep Handler seemed to be a good option to cover my needs initially but reflecting on the generous comments here it is clearly a lot of money to spend on an item, considering when you add it up in terms of the amount of times you would be using it.

My neighbour who is considerably younger than me has offered his help anytime I need it as I provide some grazing from him in the Spring...although I take a little hay or fert in return he says he still owes me but irrespective just ask and I'll give you a hand.

I guess I'm just old school and like to maintain my independence but as age starts to creep up you slowly realise that you cant always do now what you used to.

I might look at a couple of mods to my race to make things easier but in hindsight the need to roll any of the sheep on their back is an infrequent event.

Cheers :)

• Thank you received: 407
3 weeks 3 days ago #545317 by LongRidge

A couple of our ewes have learnt to flop over onto the wrong side when I do the neck twist, so they stand up again while I'm manoevering the head into the correct place :-(. With them I reach over their back while they are standing with me at the side. Then grab a front and back hock and flip them. My animals (sheep, goats and donkeys) put up a lot more fight if the foot/feet is sore, so do them before they get too sore. With small sheep, lambs and goats I do the back feet by me straddling their hips while facing backwards and hold them in place with my knees and thighs. Then pull one foot out (the one that is not rotten first), do it, let it go and do the other one.

3 weeks 3 days ago #545327 by muri

I have designed a sheep race so it suits my needs. Added onto the wider cattle race, is a very slim line sheep race which is wide at one end and narrow at the other. In the middle is a very low rail so you can reach over and pick one up and take it out of the race.
The wider end is where i can shove one up against the gate and do its feet standing up, the narrow end is for drenching etc
It works for me, my sheep tend to be quiet and dont try and jump out of the low rail.
I will try and see if I can photograph it later in the week and post it.

3 weeks 3 days ago #545347 by AGPS

Thanks Muri,

If you could provide a photo of your Sheep race set up it would be appreciated.

It will give me an idea as to where to start before I start swinging the hammer!

3 weeks 2 days ago #545370 by muri

looking from the cattle race, wider on the left then narrows. there is a gate half way along and the photo is taken from the back gate so you can only fit 6/7 sheep in at once. It also extends into a loading race at the far end beyond the gate with an adjustable ramp depend on what you are loading on to

Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by muri.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.