Register

Topic-icon The big dry...

• Thank you received: 441
2 months 1 week ago #545055 by Stikkibeek

We've had rain this morning/ No where near enough though. Think I'll have to try Ruth's rain dance, and if that manages to frighten a few spiders to death we might get a flood! :whistle:
I've been trying to get the weaners we bought to eat hay. It smells delicious but they wont touch it. I might have to put the yearling in with them as he adores hay and might teach them to eat it. Looking back on last years diary, we are slightly better off than last year when we started feeding hay in January and we had some big animals then. Currently only two adult nurse cows, with four calves between them, 1 yearling, 4 weaners and the 2 biafran refugees that are doing well back on milk..........and 10 goats!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• terralee
  • Aged Animal Accumulator
  • Thank you received: 55
2 months 1 week ago #545064 by terralee

Exceedingly dry here ...drought is the word ...the wee showers that are forecast do not eventuate and we have had no rain to speak of since Christmas ...there is 4 days of rain forecast to start Friday ...and I so hope it arrives ....thankful we have sheep and not cattle ....we are feeding out sheep nuts at a scary rate ..Mo and Spuddy are fine as horses do well on dry burnt offerings and we are Blessed to have plenty of very good hay in the barn ...but oh to see some green stuff soon:huh: :huh: :dry:
Pic was taken on 1st of Feb and has dried out and burnt off even more :(

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

• Thank you received: 414
2 months 6 days ago #545087 by LongRidge

For those of us in drought conditions, remember that when the rain arrives the new pasture growth could cause nitrate poisoning, and/or Facial Eczema.

• Thank you received: 198
2 months 4 days ago #545165 by muri

I have to say that I have never seen my sheep in such good condition as now. They are not overweight but they are very well covered and the lambs have progressed well since weaning about 6 weeks ago. The lambs are all Damara which is a dry weather sheep anyway, but a lot of the mothers arent, they seem to being doing really well on fibre only from the grass that died and acting as standing hay.
Some of the lambs so far havent needed drenching, and none of the ewes have been drenched this summer.
That could change if we get rain though

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.