Register

Topic-icon Why an LSB....?

• Thank you received: 81
3 months 6 days ago #545003 by Mudlerk

Back in the '80s I interviewed an elderly couple outside Wanganui who had just been named national smallfarmers of the year. Their hillside was an impressive mix of vegetables, woodlots, and exotic semitropical fruits.

I asked the usual question: "How do you handle the charge that you're taking farmland out of production?"

The gentleman replied, "I'd like to see the commercial farmer that can match my production on this land!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 50
3 months 5 days ago #545016 by spark

Mudlerk wrote: Back in the '80s I interviewed an elderly couple outside Wanganui who had just been named national smallfarmers of the year. Their hillside was an impressive mix of vegetables, woodlots, and exotic semitropical fruits.

I asked the usual question: "How do you handle the charge that you're taking farmland out of production?"

The gentleman replied, "I'd like to see the commercial farmer that can match my production on this land!"

Interestingly, there are other people that seem to think the same thing eg:
Subnational distribution of average farm size and smallholder contributions to global food production
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/12/124010/meta

Though it seems like our great illustrious leaders seem to view small farms (lifestyle blocks) as some kind of disease to be controlled...

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 21
3 months 3 days ago #545047 by Blueberry

Back in the day... - when we bought our 50 acres, we found, quite quickly, the NZ Smallfarmers Association (i think it was called). This was the best thing that could have happened to us; a group of people, nationwide, who were doing what we wanted to do. Who already had connections, knowledge we needed to have but did not know how to access. They also had yearly get-togethers, where the more active or more successful or settled smallfarmers presented their operations, showed and explained their hobbies, which could be copicing, water systems, new breeds, how to build an efficient fireplace, pizza oven, smokehouse etc.
We did not have much (any!!) spare cash back then, but we scrimped and saved all year to be able to afford to go to these annual meetings. The most fun, and the most learning we ever had in one weekend.

Unfortunately, the membership declined as members got older, and in the end, the association was disbanded. It was a great loss of knowledge.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.