Register

Topic-icon Ear tags for sheep - Leader tags

• Thank you received: 1
3 months 3 weeks ago #544645 by nzsq

Has anyone ever used Leader tags for tagging sheep?

We have an Allflex Universal Total Tagger ( www.allflex.global/us/product/universal-total-tagger ) and have used Allflex Lazatags in the past. Went to RD1 to get some new tags and thought they were pretty pricey (wanted numbered ones this time).

I've been looking at other options and see that Leader does personalised tags (numbers + text) for a MUCH lower price ( leaderproducts.co.nz/Shop/TagSelect_pane...TagOptions_panel.cfm ). And as a bonus I can order online, have them delivered and not have to deal with our local RD1 store who have staff with a very disinterested attitude (sigh).

But I don't know what the quality of Leader tags? And also if there's a chance I can use the Total Tagger with Leader tags? They look kind of similar but I know you usually have to use the same brand applicator as tags...

The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87
3 months 3 weeks ago #544646 by max2

I am looking forward to hearing the replies too. I had a re-tagging bill from the sales yard for stock that I know were NAIT tagged when I put them on the truck. Its been recommended to me to look at other tag suppliers and Leader was mentioned as being an alternative.

• Thank you received: 209
3 months 3 weeks ago #544649 by Sue

I was just looking up tags and found this by chance, never heard of them before but an alternative perhaps.
www.shearwell.co.nz

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

• Thank you received: 46
3 months 3 weeks ago #544679 by Muz1

Hi Sue, I have been involved with LEADER and know their products. You are using two-piece tags I guess for easier visual ID.
Leader have equivalent with the medium (no 2) tag used on sheep. Can be matched with a male the same size or fixed with a button male. The sheep range list one-piece ''original leader'' in standard or jumbo with the same size choice in EID (with HDX best-read transponder). This design has the best retention of any sheep tags, proven over many years. There are also two-piece swivel tags and one-piece wrap-over ''multi'' tags with EID choices also.
You should be able to use the ALLFLEX multi-tagger for the LEADER two-piece panel (management) tags like the LAZATAG. Other types require other applicators.
www.leaderproducts.co.nz is an on-line buying site where you can view choices of color, size, combinations and provides a recommended retail price for both sheep and cattle tags. There is a choice of buying via LEADER or a local reseller of your choice.
Hope this helps.
Max2, LEADER's EID tags are only HDX but at a price that competes with FDX type. There is a triangle shape (LEADERTRONIC) and a common round shape (ENVIRO). Round is easier to apply.

3 months 3 weeks ago #544693 by Sue

Muz1 wrote: Hi Sue, I have been involved with LEADER and know their products. You are using two-piece tags I guess for easier visual ID.
Hope this helps]

I was actually just looking up something helpful re tags for the poster when I came across the shearwell site!

I have been using Allflex cattle tags for 40 years and we buy through Performance Beef Breeders and get our tags specially printed with our stud name plus change the colour each year. Thanks, for the info re Leader tags, I am well aware of the ability to swap around buttons or various sizes of panel tags. I write the year plus the sire and dam on a back blank tag of the same colour

With two applicators, one for EID tags and one for panel tags, at our stage of life, I am not about to change!

OK some come apart, some pull out- they all would given enough force- but nothing is perfect!

....and in the days when the cattle had to have a yellow Primary tag in the right ear and then later the NAIT tag in the right ear as well, we still used the coloured tag to denote the year of birth and wrote the animals sire and dam on the coloured tag.
This cow is now 10 and is still wearing her birth tags plus the addition of a NAIT tag which has probably been there at least 4 years.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 46
3 months 3 weeks ago #544695 by Muz1

Hi Sue, apologies-my comments were meant for nzsq re the sheep enquiry.
Great pics of tags. Incidentally, LEADER tags are available from PBB too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue

3 months 2 weeks ago #544755 by nzsq

Thanks Muz1 - really appreciate your comments. I think I'll give Leader a go and hopefully the Total Tagger works with the tags ok (yes, it's the two piece tags we've been using for our sheep).

• Thank you received: 2
3 months 1 week ago #544966 by Todd.C

I’ve tagged thousands of sheep in the past and I would strongly recommend dipping the tag applicators with the tag in place into a anti septic bucket before you pierce the ear,even spray iodine solution onto the applied tag wound If not doing too many.
The ears can become infected and swell up with fluid that can’t be drained and it looks so painful when it happens.
Antibiotics don’t seem to be able to penetrate that area very well. Vet said nothing I could do except remove the ear.

Experienced dairy/sheep & beef manager

• Thank you received: 419
3 months 1 week ago #544975 by LongRidge

We have found that too, and put antibiotic powder on ever tag that goes into any type of animal. That does not always work, especially for suckling babies, but it reduces the wound, and the risk of flystrike at this time of the year..

2 months 1 week ago #545559 by nzsq

Just an update on this....got a call from Leader the other day, ONE MONTH after ordering/paying for my numbered sheep tags saying "sorry we can't supply numbered tags". What?!! So that was a bit of a waste of time.

2 months 1 week ago #545580 by Sue

nzsq wrote: Just an update on this....got a call from Leader the other day, ONE MONTH after ordering/paying for my numbered sheep tags saying "sorry we can't supply numbered tags". What?!! So that was a bit of a waste of time.

So why do they advertise them numbered? Seems weird!
leaderproducts.co.nz/Shop/TagSelect_form_sheep.cfm

Sue

• Thank you received: 87
2 months 8 hours ago #545714 by max2

Todd.C wrote: I’ve tagged thousands of sheep in the past and I would strongly recommend dipping the tag applicators with the tag in place into a anti septic bucket before you pierce the ear,even spray iodine solution onto the applied tag wound If not doing too many.
The ears can become infected and swell up with fluid that can’t be drained and it looks so painful when it happens.
Antibiotics don’t seem to be able to penetrate that area very well. Vet said nothing I could do except remove the ear.

I had that with one of my BWF calves who is now a yearling. Droopy ears because both of them were infected from tags, the original NAIT one (I didn't apply that) and the visual tag we apply. To an outsider, they might think its a sign of M. Bovis!

Time to create page: 0.817 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.