Register

Topic-icon Drain field pipe

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 1 week ago #544432 by kbri

Hi All,
So it looks like I have damaged our drain field pipe with my ride on mower - not sure when but I am the prime suspect for sure - took out a 1-2 meter stretch of it.

At the moment - even in this hot weather - we have a collection of boggy land where the field pipe goes too. This may or may not be due to the damage it has incurred.

I am struggling a tad to find out if there are replacement pipes or repair kits - is this because there are none? Based in in Rodney district - any recommendations or stockist your know of? Don't want to face a hefty prices replacement of the field pipes just yet.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 68
2 months 1 week ago #544433 by Cigar

I have repaired the pipes that drip the liquid for our system using the joiners, clamps and pipe for the home garden irrigation systems from the likes of Mitre10, Bunnings, etc. The pipe that takes it to the driplines is much larger, but if that is damaged the alkathene pipe and fittings for farm waterline from rural supplies stores should do the trick.

Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Cigar. Reason: Damn autocorrect!

• Thank you received: 435
2 months 1 week ago #544437 by Stikkibeek

First off, what kind of pipe is it? If clay feild tiles, you may not be able to replace, but if a Novaflow, type you can certainly get sections of that which can be fitted to existing pipe line and has clips etc. You can buy it from Rural Direct as they make it, or, other outlets such as M10 will have it.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 22
2 months 1 week ago #544448 by stentor

Clay pipe cut broken section with diamond blade on a grinder to make a clean end
You can buy rubber collars that step down to a plastic pipe at places like Humes, they do up with jubilee clips/hoseclips
Get a section of pvc pipe to fit the missing bit

Do the same other end - pour a jug of boiled water over the rubber fitting and wear gloves if you need more flexibility

The cheapskate way is to drop in more clay pipe sections to fit broken section and use tyre tube rubber wrapped around the join and tie it off with wire - I've seen that work as long as it doesn't get disturbed

Novaflo pipe just cut out the squished /destroyed section, lay a new section in at the same length. Cut 2 jointer pieces around 200mm long each and then cut them along the length of them so that they can open out in a C-shape
Spread the C shape over the join and get it lined up with the ridges on the two pipe sections to be joined

Secure with wide pvc tape and tiewire over each end of each joint section

Good luck and post pics if anything isn't working

• Thank you received: 407
2 months 1 week ago #544449 by LongRidge

Our overflow pipe is perforated. If yours is too, then getting a tight seal is not very important, except to avoid much more overflow in that spot. So if you want the area to be dry then replace that length with a pipe that is not perforated and does have good seals.

2 months 1 week ago #544475 by Dorkus

Depending on where you are in Rodney I would talk to Penny at Pumps and Plumbing in Kaiwaka. She is fantastic, really knows her stuff and is very reasonably priced.

4ha paddock. No house. Big shiny new shed. No machinery. No clues.

1 month 3 weeks ago #544650 by kbri

Many thanks guys. Popped into Pumps and plumbing today - Penny was extremely helpful and the damage has been repaired.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.