Register

Topic-icon Arapawa/Pitt island Rams

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 2 days ago #542751 by brad23m

Hi all,

Is someone able to help me identify the breeds of these rams which I inherited from the previous owners of the property.

Also if someone knows what they are worth that would be great as I want to get them sold.

Cheers

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Baroque
  • Arapawa sheep wrangler & spinner of fine wools
  • Thank you received: 29
2 months 1 day ago #542757 by Baroque

They all look like Arapawa rams to me. They look like they are rising 2yos from size and horn growth, but you'd need to check their teeth

My Pitts and PittX were all jet black with little white on their heads, their faces and bodies are a different shape.

The wool type is different too, staple lengths are similar but the fibre is coarser and feels different to handle, it doesn't have the bounce which the Arapawa wool has either - speaking as a spinner of wool with some expertise!

Photos are a couple of my Pitt Island sheep with some of my Arapawas behind them, and one of our 3 young rams.

The 2 young rams at the front [from left] were born mid October & mid September 2017, the one at the back was born mid September 2016 to give you some idea of horn growth. This photo was taken in early June this year, they have more horn growth now.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 months 1 day ago by Baroque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brad23m

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 1 day ago #542762 by brad23m

Thanks for your reply Baroque,

Any idea of what they are worth? I’m wanting to put them on trade me..

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.586 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.