Ride on mowers brands - any recommendations?

More
5 years 8 months ago #542537 by Lindseyjane
We have a chook run in an orchard, quite sizeable, and about 50 chooks. It needs mowing as the chooks, over 6 years, haven't managed to denude it yet :) trouble is, it's quite bumpy and VERY lush so both ride-ons we have owned just clog up. These were not cheap items either, and we were assured they wold be more than adequate for the job. Yeah, right...
We are now considering a third ride-on. I have the feeling we may have given up on the "collecting" type ones, will just use a side shute and if we want grass clippings for the composts, we will have to use the push around variety.
The one we are considering now is Husquavarna - any thoughts form people? We currently have a John Deere

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #542538 by Stikkibeek
We have a cub cadet that handles the chook yard/orchard well. If it's very overgrown, you can mow with the blade set higher.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 8 months ago #542539 by Lindseyjane
Thanks Stikkibeek. That's the other brand we are looking at. Even with the blades as far up as they can go, and mowing EVERY week at present, the mower clogs up about 5 times, requiring turning it off and unclogging with a long stick. Not ideal.

More
5 years 8 months ago #542540 by tonybaker
you need to keep the blades sharp with wet grass, it's very important, and keep the revs up.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #542550 by Furball
Whew - ride-ons are expensive so maybe try a few things before laying out more money...
We have the cheapest John Deere possible, and it is able to cope with very lush grass at our place, even after a month's growth, so perhaps there is something stopping yours from coping?

It's important to make sure the blades are sharp as TonyBaker says and not chipped - also only cut on a sunny windy day when the grass is dry, not after rain or heavy dew.

When we have to cut a super-lush long lawn we do a double-cut - Remove the mulch deck and set the blades as high as possible, going as slow as possible for the first cut, then drop the blades to 3.5 inches and do a second cut (with the mulch deck on if the mower can handle it, otherwise without). The second cut means when you come back next week the grass has not grown so much. Basically the shorter you cut the grass to, the slower it grows, so if you can manage to scalp the hell out of it for even one cut you should be able to get on top of it with weekly cuts in future.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Furball.

More
5 years 8 months ago #542551 by Stikkibeek
Furball the trouble with scalping the lawn where chooks are, will open it up to having large holes dug everywhere. Leaving a bit of cover on it is the best practice.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds