Register

Topic-icon Septic and plumbing

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 2 weeks ago #542432 by hads7117

Hi All,
We are just about to build a small 2 bed place on a lifestyle block with a septic system. 1 bathroom and a laundry and kitchen. Plumber has just come back with a price of $48k for the system and his plumbing work. I found out that the system is $13k to buy ourselves. Thinking that this is super expensive for a few bits of pipe when all is in 100sqm. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with plumbers overcharging? Thinking I may have to change. Do I have to change the plan from council if I change the system or can I get someone in to do the same system? Thanks much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 173
2 months 2 weeks ago #542441 by muri

I can only talk for auckland council as I know the regulations there, and it could differ in other regions but I would imagine its fairly standard.
When you put your application in for a seotic, someone who is qualified will have drawn up the plans and those are the plans that you must adhere to or else make a variation and submit that the council.
Before you get sign off on the property, you will need to provide a papers from the plumber/drainlayer, that the septic has been done according to the plans as well as a signed maintenance agreement from either the engineer who designed the septic, or else the plumber/drain layer who has laid the system down.
If you change the plumber, that shouldnt matter as long as it is someone approved and registered with that particular council.
What kind of system are you putting it eg gravity fed, pumped septic.
If you do it yourself, you are probably not qualified to sign off its functioning or continued maintenance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hads7117

• Thank you received: 57
2 months 2 weeks ago #542444 by Cigar

I would think about getting another quote from a different plumber to compare.
If it's anything like our system (Hynds Lifestyle) it might be relatively cheap to buy but the earthworks to bury it, putting in power and alarm lines, plumbing to and from etc add a lot of cost.

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 1 week ago #542493 by hads7117

Thank you, yes its the Hynds Lifestyle, hows this system working for you? Is it good?

• Thank you received: 41
2 months 1 week ago #542497 by Kilmoon

Good lord, is it gold plated?

What on earth happened to the good old settling type tanks? No electricity or pumping required, and just a suck out every decade or so (depending on number of shitters in the house). I sure as hell wouldn't be paying anywhere near that amount and having chatted to our septic guy (who comes once a decade to collect the solids that have built up) we should hold on to our old reliant system and fight tooth and nail to keep it (if we ever get round to rebuilding the house). He has had nothing good to say about any system that requires electricity to run it - but then my info is about 6 years out of date.

• Thank you received: 57
2 months 1 week ago #542510 by Cigar

hads7117 wrote: Thank you, yes its the Hynds Lifestyle, hows this system working for you? Is it good?

Ours works fine most of the time, occasionally I have had to give the filters a clean between services but thats easy once you find where they are. I have no idea what ours cost to put in, the house was already built when we bought it. We have no choice to go with the old type septic system as we are on peat soil with a high water table. My parents bach at the beach has the old system (I seem to spend most long weekends fixing that!) but if they ever extend or rebuild they have to change. The neighbouring bach had to go with a composting toilet as it doesn't have enough land area for the new type of system.

• Thank you received: 20
2 months 1 week ago #542536 by Geba

What happened to the old type tanks? not allowed, is what's happened - around us, anyway. A full treatment system is required.

That being said - we have a Septech, which is an electric treatment system. We were told by neighbours that it would be expensive to run, but it isn't.
Our power bill is the same as it was at our old house, around $140 a month, and the Septech runs four times a day. The water 'out the end' waters the garden and trees. I'm pretty happy with it.

• Thank you received: 59
2 months 1 week ago #542648 by Anakei

I would definitely get more quotes, but remember, you are paying for what they know, as well as what they do!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener
The following user(s) said Thank You: spoook

• Thank you received: 173
2 months 2 days ago #542743 by muri

I am just putting in a new septic system at the moment.
It is a syphon system with a double concrete septic tank.
There is no power but works by gravity
This can only work if you have the space and enough fall from the house to the field for it to run with gravity feed.
The plumber said around $15000 all up but then i bought the septic tank which weas $4000 and then the cost of the digger on top.
He said the gravity system is more expensive to put in because of the digging and the field, but of course cheaper to run.
He thought $45,000 excessive

• Thank you received: 1
1 month 2 weeks ago #543039 by kb1

Our Reflection's system cost $10,900 and all drainlaying for house (354m2) was $16,500

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.