Lamb Vaccination with Pre Lamb Vaccination of Ewe

More
5 years 8 months ago #541125 by Fiona B
Hello all,

My first year for lambing and I am a little confused with vaccination. I have pre-lamb vaccinated the Ewes (Multine with selenium). So my questions are
When do I vaccinate my lambs?
Do I still need to give two vaccinations if the ewes were vaccinated pre lamb?

Thanks

13 hectares, Upper Moutere

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #541126 by Kilmoon
Sigh, second time trying to post this, but here goes....^*&%$@# internet!

We use Multine 5in1 (selenium added) for all our flock. The ewes get their annual jab 2-4 weeks before lambing, so late August-very early September for lambing beginning late September. Their lamb offspring that year get their first jab at around 4 months of age (sometimes 5 months), so in late February of the following year. The lambs then get their second booster jab at least 4 weeks after that in late March. When lambing times rolls around again they just get done with the pregnant ewes even though they won't be getting preggers until the following year as 2 tooths.

More
5 years 8 months ago #541128 by Fiona B
Thanks heaps! - I had read at weaning time which I understood to be 8 weeks.... is that too early for weaning?

More
5 years 8 months ago #541129 by LongRidge
This is a very confusing subject, so if you are only slightly confused, that is a very good start.
1. Only humans and one other species (whales I think) are known to be able to transfer antibodies through the umbilical to the unborn. All other babies get their antibodies from the mothers colostrum (if she has any reason to have made antibodies) within the first couple of hours of life. Thus the amount of antibodies the baby gets depends on how "leaky it's gut is and for how long, and the concentration of the antibodies in the colostrum. These vary with every baby, so it is best to assume that the baby has a very low level of protection :-(.
2. The immune system of pregnant animals is marked reduced during pregnancy, so assume that you have not done the injecting perfectly, so the antibodies will be fairly low.
3. Nilvax stimulates the autoimmune system to work much better than everyday 5-in-1, because it stings the site.
4. The time between boosting and birth is very important. Some time is needed , perhaps 2 weeks, for the antibodies in the ewe to reach their maximum. As time between vaccination and birth increases, the antibodies decrease, so that after 8 to 10 weeks you can assume that they are back to minimal. So, re-vaccinate the late lambers.
5. I have been told, and do, vaccinate the lambs with LambVax or 5-in-1 when they are about 6 weeks old. This one vaccination only gives protection against Pulpy Kidney, which at 6 weeks to weaning is the main cause of lamb death from the Clostridials.
6. They then get the immuniser dose of 5-in-1 in late December just before weaning. Then they get the booster 4 to 8 weeks later.

More
5 years 8 months ago #541132 by Fiona B
Hi

So three vaccinations
My lambs would be about 4 months in December - is that to late for the immuniser?

More
5 years 8 months ago #541135 by LongRidge
The really big killer of unweaned lambs, of the Clostridium species is Cl perfringens type D that causes Pulpy Kidney. The others in the 5-in-1 don't really worry lambs until they are a bit older. So if the lambs have been vaxed with 5-in-1 at 5 to 8 weeks, they are fairly safe until about 6 months or older. With us, the sheep that are going to be meat before they have lambed don't get vaxed. Those that are going to be mothers at some stage get vaxed after December and 4 to 8 weeks later, and again when the ewes that will be lambing are vaxed in late July because we start lambing mid August (usually, but early October this year).
With vaccinations, there is no guarantee they will work. The really big problem is that some sheep jump when the needle goes in, and if they have a fleece it is very difficult to see if the needle is in the sheep the whole time that the vax is going in :-(. So the time that is too late is when the sheep has died :-(.

More
5 years 8 months ago #541138 by Cigar
Vaccinate lambs at weaning or from 12 weeks is what the makers recommend if using Multine with selenium. Do not vaccinate young lambs with the selenium version, it might kill them.

More
5 years 8 months ago #541178 by Fiona B
Thanks - good information

More
5 years 8 months ago #541179 by Fiona B
Thanks - yes I heard that somewhere. cheers

More
5 years 8 months ago #541180 by cowvet
If you vaccinate your ewes prelambing then generally you don’t need to vaccinate your lambs until weaning. At that stage they need two shots 4-6 weeks apart.
If you have historical problems with tetanus or pulpy kidney pre weaning then consider using lamb vax at tailing. It gives short term cover for tetanus for tailing and a sensitiser to pk. I would then give two shots of 5in 1 at weaning as mention above.

Be very careful using selenised products in lambs. There have been a number cases of lambs being poisoned when products intended for adult sheep have been used.

I love animals...they're delicious
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fiona B

More
5 years 8 months ago #541183 by Fiona B
Thanks - nice and clear info :)

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds