Register

Topic-icon Pine Forest Nuisance

• Thank you received: 0
6 months 2 weeks ago #540790 by BlueApple

Hi all,

We're thinking about buying land near a pine forest plantation. In the covenants, it says we can't complain about any nuisance caused by the forestry industry.

Does anyone live near a forestry business, specifically pines? And if so what problems have you encountered because of them? Do they spray the trees often? I'm guessing there will be noise and dust when they cut the trees down but apart from that?

I hope someone can enlighten me!

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 428
6 months 2 weeks ago #540792 by Stikkibeek

Pollen during bloom might be a problem, and shared roads also if big logging trucks are trundling down and up them for days on end. And yes there will be noise and dust associated. You lawyer would be the best one to explain the covenant. There will be a report on the inclusion of it, available with the title

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

6 months 2 weeks ago #540793 by BlueApple

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! Yes I think the best thing to do will be to get the lawyer on this to define all the details.

• Thank you received: 393
6 months 2 weeks ago #540796 by LongRidge

We logged our block 20 years ago, and had absolutely no problems.
Other blocks have recently been logged, and the only problem is that the trucks removing the logs can be used 24 hours per day if there is a need to get it onto a ship quickly, or the weather is optimal for carrying the logs out, So if the house is close to the right of way out (within about 50 meters)then that will cause a slight problem. The trucking companies that have worked around here have been very good to work with and seldom used the roads when traffic or the school bus was around.
Other than the pollen, the huge problem that I had was watching the neighbours forest being cut down rather than doing work :-).
Especially important when having forestry close is having Public Liability Insurance, and not have fires that do not have the appropriate approval.
Also, the forestry owners have to keep their "stock" (trees) in, so don't need anything in the way of fencing to do this. But you have to keep your stock out, so might have to pay for all the fencing.

6 months 2 weeks ago #540797 by BlueApple

Thanks so much for your lengthy answer it's super helpful! Do you know anything about chemicals? how often do they spray the trees and so on?

Thanks again!

:D

• Thank you received: 428
6 months 2 weeks ago #540800 by Stikkibeek

I've never heard of anybody spraying pine trees. They pretty much do what the do when growing. if they are for timber, you will get teams coming in to prune the lower branches off so the timber doesn't get too many big knots in it, but little else until harvest. Trees for paper pulp are not usually pruned except perhaps for access, and the fire breaks might be sprayed to keep combustible weeds at a minimum.They may weed spray the area initially if it has old cover such as weeds to contend with or been fallow between plantings for a long time, That's when gorse may regrow if it was there before the first forestry. . I may be wrong about this as more modern forestry could have changed.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 13
6 months 2 weeks ago #540803 by stentor

If you are downwind of the prevailing wind passing over the pine forest you can get pines sprouting on your land - more of a long term problem but needs constant work to keep them down if you don't want them

Also some people downstream from waterways that pass through pine plantations have had the forestry slash come down in flooding events causing problems - a real headache on the East Coast at the moment

6 months 2 weeks ago #540807 by LongRidge

There may be a helicopter spray with the likes of Tordon a few months before re-planting, and another spray with an anti-bracken chemical a couple of years after planting. They try to keep the gorse while the trees are growing because it gives the trees shelter, stabilises the ground a bit, provides nitrogen for the trees, helps to make the trees grow straight upwards, and gets smothered out by the trees about the time that the trees get their first prune.
Unless with your permission, the trees cannot be closer than 20 meters from your boundary, so they don't spray that.
Our trees had a helicopter application of boron.

6 months 2 weeks ago #540817 by BlueApple

Thanks a lot! Yes it makes sense that they spray initially but not much after.

6 months 2 weeks ago #540818 by BlueApple

Thank you! Yes I think wildlings could be an issue but the forest is behind the land and the wind would push the seeds away in most cases.

6 months 2 weeks ago #540820 by BlueApple

Thank you for your reply. Is Boron application common? And if so is it sprayed by helicopter? The land is downhill from a forest so we are worried about the boron seeping into the ground on the property.

6 months 2 weeks ago #540826 by LongRidge

I suspect that the seedlings from the radiata will be a different variety than the wilding pines, and even if not they will have better growth characteristics than wildings.
Boron goes on as dust or pellets, I cannot remember which. Only enough goes on for what the pines need, so there is not much loss onto surrounding downhill land. Even so, boron is a trace element needed for some of the plants in a pasture. not enough will get into your diet to have the slightest effect (unless there is an accidental dump on your vege garden, and your only food comes from that dump site, which is unlikely because wheat flour is probably a large part of your diet).

• Thank you received: 124
6 months 2 weeks ago #540840 by Hawkspur

Not spray specific, but I would doubt they would be able to covenant out of some of their legal obligations, eg. see here:
legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/20...test/DLM7373870.html
but ask your lawyer.

See the rules about noise etc
We recently pointed these out to our neighbouring forestry harvesters, who were operating at 4 am.

• Thank you received: 110
6 months 2 weeks ago #540845 by Ronney

Frankly, I would be more concerned as to how the growing pines are going to affect my land in terms of sun because, in my opinion, that will be the most important part of living close to a plantation. As LR has pointed out, wilding pines will not be an issue, Boron, if it's used at all, won't be an issue, harvesting might be depending on how close you are to the plantation and how much you let outside noise get to you. Personally, I couldn't give a damn and would probably roll over in bed and feel sorry for the loggers, skiddies and truck drivers who had been up since 3.00am.

So, I would be looking at the land, looking at where the forest was, looking at where the sun rose and set both winter and summer, projecting that forward (depending on how big the trees are now) and working out if this was going to leave me in constant shade in 10 years time. If it was I would pass up on it.

And good on you for doing your due diligence - too many people don't bother and then complain about the forest, piggery, chook farm, dairy farm........ buggering up their country lifestyle.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Thank you received: 124
6 months 2 weeks ago #540846 by Hawkspur

Our neighbour's house was less than 50m from the operating harvester and earthmoving equipment so they couldn't exactly go back to sleep.

If the forest is large, harvesting can take some time and significantly affect traffic. How wide are the roads and can you pass a truck and trailer safely?

Also, what are the potential runoff areas? www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/9512676...last-weekends-deluge

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.