Register

Topic-icon Best cat for mouse/rat control

• Thank you received: 308
8 months 2 weeks ago #540856 by Ruth

BlueApple wrote: ...The trick is to feed them really well in the morning so they don't feel like going out during the day and they just sleep inside all day, and then set them loose at night and they will hunt whatever is out ( rats mostly).

And any other unfortunate ground-based creature that happens to be around, like lizards, skinks, some ground birds... No, that is not the trick. The trick is to feed them well and then lock them in at night. Stop letting cats kill endangered wildlife!

The following user(s) said Thank You: sandgrubber, Povnation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
8 months 2 weeks ago #540868 by North50

Hi Song, if you are going to use baits, suggest you see if you can find one called Contrac. But if you are going to use baits, make sure they are fastened in place, otherwise rats especially will run away with them, store them and not eat them. You then get a false impression that they must be eating heaps because it keeps disappearing! Also be aware that if you have a rat that has set up camp inside a wall cavity and it dies there, the stink will persist for days. If you are using them in bait stations outside, another good idea is to put the bait in a small ziplock bag. This keeps it fresh and stops slugs and snails from getting at it. The rats and mice will eat right through the plastic as if its not there. If you are using traps (especially for rats), use three traps grouped together facing the wall. Bait them but don't set them for a few days until you see all the baits being eaten, then re-bait them and set just the center one; rats are highly suspicious of anything new.
Hope that helps.

• Thank you received: 114
8 months 2 weeks ago #540874 by Ronney

C'mon Ruth, that's your take on it. I'm sick to the back teeth of tripping over dead rats and mice at the bottom of the stairs, in the kitchen, under the table, on the way to the washing line....... and not a bird amongst them, or anything else for that matter. And I can still see little Molly making her way down the hill with her biggest kill ever dragging underneath her - a stoat. I suspect that the rats and stoat might be doing as much damage, or more, to the wildlife as ever my cats are. I think one Gareth Morgan in the world is enough.

When the last of the previous cats departed this life, within 3 months the house and vegetable garden were overrun with both rats and mice and for the first time I had to set bait traps around the house. Got the first two new kittens and by the time they had been here 6 months the population had started to decline. 3 years on and four cats, there are now no rats and mice at the house and what's more, they're taking care of them at the cowshed. Only one doesn't seem to be keen on extending himself to hunt and I can live with that.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Thank you received: 308
8 months 2 weeks ago #540876 by Ruth

Ronney wrote: C'mon Ruth, that's your take on it. I'm sick to the back teeth of tripping over dead rats and mice at the bottom of the stairs, in the kitchen, under the table, on the way to the washing line.......

The obvious answer to that is, stop them going out hunting and bringing them in! ;) :D

• Thank you received: 114
8 months 2 weeks ago #540877 by Ronney

Not a good solution at all. It's by leaving their presents in strategic places that I'm aware of just how many they do put paid to. Not only that, it takes less time to pick up the mice and rats than it would to do the unpleasant job of cleaning out the litter boxes of indoor cats. I'm not doing smilies because they don't seem to work for me.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Thank you received: 42
8 months 2 weeks ago #540886 by Furball

"C'mon Ruth, that's your take on it."
Er, that's not just Ruth "having a take". It's a fact. Cats do kill our endangered wildlife. Research has proven that house cats spend their nights hunting even when they’re not hungry; in this study they only ate what they killed 30 percent of the time. 49% of the time they left their prey to rot where they killed it and only about 21 percent of the time they brought their kill all the way home.
www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/kitty-...lling_n_1757070.html

Yes, this is an American study, but even there they found that cats killed a lot more small lizards than anyone had expected - this behaviour was not known about by the owners as the cats either ate the lizards immediately or left them where they were killed. A New Zealand study in Dunedin found that birds were the most common cat prey there, ahead of rodents. So many birds are being killed by cats there that the city is a "population sink" for birds, where the population cannot breed fast enough to replace its members.
www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320709004133

You may be seeing a lot of dead rats and mice, but you're certainly not seeing what else your cat is doing. And just because you're not seeing it, doesn't mean it's not happening. It's definitely your right to have your own opinion about cats, but you can't have your own facts :-)

Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Furball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mudlerk, sandgrubber

• Thank you received: 63
8 months 1 week ago #540904 by Anakei

They are alternative facts :evil:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Thank you received: 19
8 months 1 week ago #540943 by sandgrubber

Seddon is crawling with cats. So much so that a few show up as roadkill every month. I've been here for 15 months and not seen a single lizard, and bird population is low and dominated by house sparrows.
I've yet to see a single possum in town, and out of town, one every few months as roadkill. I tend to think cats are to blame for virtual local extinction of native species.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.