Register

Topic-icon So it continues-the drought!

• Sue
  • Sue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Moos and clucks
  • Thank you received: 206
1 year 2 months ago #538203 by Sue

Yes Kate, still sunny down here-we had 2 mm forecast for this evening when I looked this morning-but that has now gone somewhere else.
Bet you are glad you got the shearing done-not so good for hay though!

We MAY get 1.9mm during the night-we will see at dawn tomorrow!

There seems to be rain Sunday /Monday on the forecast, not a lot, but anything would be good! Everything is looking grey/ green again.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 208
1 year 2 months ago #538206 by kate

Sue, how depressing to think you're about to get rain then get nothing.

I'll keep everything crossed for you for rain this weekend...that's if there's any rain left after it finishes here, we've had 75mls since 9am this morning and some of the grass in the hay paddock is yellowing off. I think it's drowning :(

Web Goddess

• Sue
  • Moos and clucks
1 year 2 months ago #538224 by Sue

Grr, another day of rain forecast that has come to nothing, less than 0.4mm in the rain gauge and when it did rain my Tee shirt didn't even get damp!

Tomorrows day of rain has contracted to just the afternoon. I like the look of over 100 mm forecast for early hours on Monday-I'll report back what actually happens!

Although the TV weather radar indicated nice fat rain clouds over our way today -if you look at the met service 24 hour rain radar, those nice rain clouds slipped away east without even touching us.

Oh, hold that thought, it has just started to rain, not meant to until 10pm-but there is a blue rain cloud might be heading towards us!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

• Thank you received: 117
1 year 2 months ago #538235 by Ronney

Sue, I've just had another look at the radar and this time you appear to have some wet stuff floating over your area? I do hope so.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Thank you received: 310
1 year 2 months ago #538236 by Ruth

So did you get any?

We're continuing to suffer (weird, I know, worse to suffer drought) far too much rainfall and are hoping it will stop as quickly as the radar looks like it should, otherwise we're going to have an almighty flood - might still anyway. 90-odd mm over the last three days and there's water lying everywhere. Ridiculous.

The extremem humidity appears to have put a stop to my fullstops, question marks, dashes and backspacing, so I keep having to find other ways to type properly! I now know how to pull apart and successfully reassemble a Microsoft Egonomic 4000 keyboard though! Not that it helped. Someone put a lot of dust and chocolate down through my keys and I can't think who's been in my office.

• Sue
  • Moos and clucks
1 year 2 months ago #538237 by Sue

Yes!!! We got 8 mm overnight!

Managed to feed out the baleage before it started to rain at 10 am this morning and since then we have had a decent fall, enough to make puddles even! Probably had another 8 mm by now.

They have modified the forecast for later on though, so 30 mm for the rest of the day, not 55 mm, and for overnight and Monday, wait for it..... 7 mm instead of 103 mm!

Ah well , if we get a total of 50 mm over 3 days it will kick start the grass again., I hope.

Yes Ruth, scary what falls out of the key board if you turn it over and give it a tap! Perhaps all the full stops, commas and question marks fell out too!

Sue

1 year 2 months ago #538238 by Ruth

Will you have to buy more feed again? Here we get rain, then five or so days later there's grass. But only Kikuyu works like that.

• Sue
  • Moos and clucks
1 year 2 months ago #538244 by Sue

Ruth I think it would take at least a month to get any sort of grazeable grass in some paddocks!

I had the idea of just feeding baleage in one paddock, until grass was long enough to graze in the other paddocks, instead have just reduced the numbers per 'mob' and still feed them, but less. Wish I had grazeable grass in a week following rain!
The 7 cows still with bull calves are doing the hardest as their paddock is bare!

Had to move them today to a paddock I was hoping to let grow to provide winter grass. I can't bear to think of them standing around with nothing to pick at, not even Cali thistles, between feeds !

I'm getting another 20 bales of baleage from Feilding this coming week, and got 18 bales (big!) from a neighbour on Friday-so that combined with selling at least 12 to 15 cows we should be OK. Of course if we get 20 to 50 mm of rain every week that will be even better.

Are you watching out for that next cyclone due your way on Friday!!!

Sue
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 198
1 year 2 months ago #538245 by muri

Hope you do get some of this rain dump which is predicted to cover the whole country
Its a month now since we got our first lot of decent rain after nearly 4 months of virtually nothing and what amazes me is that the large cracks are still there. Recovery does take a long time.
I have the opposite problem of too much feed and hard to find calves I want to bring on and help mop up the surplus.
Meanwhile much of my produce in the garden looks to be dying off, first from the wind and now from sogginess. My first rock melons I have grown arent quite ripe, but starting to rot on the vine, I dont think market gardening would be much easier than farming in this weather

1 year 2 months ago #538251 by Ruth

Sue wrote: ...Are you watching out for that next cyclone due your way on Friday!!!

You bet. It looked like they'd got it wrong and it was headed off in the other direction, but the forecasts are still showing it shifting West and then down to us at the end of the week.

• Sue
  • Moos and clucks
1 year 2 months ago #538252 by Sue

Ruth wrote:

Sue wrote: ...Are you watching out for that next cyclone due your way on Friday!!!

You bet. It looked like they'd got it wrong and it was headed off in the other direction, but the forecasts are still showing it shifting West and then down to us at the end of the week.

It does look to be going a funny way on the 5 day forecast, heading west instead of south!

Yay we got 22 mm so far today-soaking in nicely!

Sue

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 2 months ago #538253 by Stikkibeek

Ruth wrote: . Someone put a lot of dust and chocolate down through my keys and I can't think who's been in my office.

It will be all those chocolate fish you have earned for your advice. Here's another <>< :whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 117
1 year 2 months ago #538256 by Ronney

I'm glad you got some Sue because for a while it looked as though it was going to skirt past you.

We've had 136mm in less than 3 days and flooded twice in that time! When looking at Sue's situation, it really is from the sublime to the ridiculous. The humidity is possibly the worst I can remember - paper is damp and difficult to write on, clothing, linen, bedding feels damp and in some cases, wet. I did masses of washing today because although dry, it was beginning to smell with the dampness. It went through the dryer.

I think for most, it has been one of the worst summers ever following on from an atrocious winter and even getting the vegetable garden to produce something is hard going. What concerns me is that winter is not far away.........

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 2 months ago #538265 by Stikkibeek

I ended up walking around in wet clothes most of yesterday. I did try the rain coat, but it was like a sauna under it, so I gave up. Was very warm, 100% humidity and 52 mm of rain. The old creek bed has a fair bit of water in it and the gateways are muddy once again. For us at least the drought is over.

Hope you get some relief too Sue, especially while the weather is still warm enough for grass to come away.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Stikkibeek.

• terralee
  • Aged Animal Accumulator
  • Thank you received: 55
1 year 2 months ago #538267 by terralee

Been thinking of you Sue .......hope the rain continues to fall .....so weird the extremes of weather these days !!!! We have grass for Africa and regular rain all summer long .....we went to Church yesterday ...little church out Ronneys' way (Duncan Road /Fairburn Road Ronney ...thought we might see you there:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ) and where we have had rain looks like over Ronneys' side has had much bigger dumpings ...everything was under water ....knew you would have suffered some flooding Ronney.
Really hope your rain continues to fall and that the grass gets growing in time for winter stock up Sue.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.331 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.